Water puddling.

So from what I understand I need dirt (with no fertilizers and no pesticides ) and sand. I too need a pot or something at least 8 inches tall. Are coco fibers harmful? Sorry about all the questions I just keep reading nightmare stories about their chams eating the dirt and getting very sick and it just makes me nervous so I want to make sure I get it right.

My 2 cents worth:

First, welcome!!!! It’s awesome that you joined this community, and, from your pics and willingness to ask questions, I’m sure you and your new baby will hit the decade mark together!!!! Again, welcome!

Second, props to anamcara and Beman! The time and care they’ve taken to respond here is a real testament to the kind of info and insight that this forum can provide.

Third, I agree with everything both have said. Repashy calcium plus loD is what I use for all my veileds at every feeding. A linear t5 is probably the best uvb source (short of natural sunlight) that you can give your Cham. Personally, I always use a higher uvb % than other very experienced keepers like beeman would recommend, but that’s just me. I’m a guy after all: bigger is always better, over-compensating...you know. With respect to feeders, a varied diet is always best. Crickets one day, dubias the next, black soldier fly larva (bsfl) the next, and then silk worms. Hornworms are great for hydration and variety but don’t pack enough protein for a staple feeder.

Last, welcome again!!!!!

So from what I understand I need dirt (with no fertilizers and no pesticides ) and sand. I too need a pot or something at least 8 inches tall. Are coco fibers harmful? Sorry about all the questions I just keep reading nightmare stories about their chams eating the dirt and getting very sick and it just makes me nervous so I want to make sure I get it right.

There’s always tons of horror stories: don’t let them scare you. Veileds will eat soil, whether in captivity, or not. I prefer not to give them the opportunity by adding a one inch layer of river rock to the top of all my live plants.

Oh s$&t, we’re you asking about a laying bin, or just normal plant soil? For a laying bin, I use straight play-sand. Sorry for the confusion...as always, I’m a few drinks in

The reason I sifted the fibers out is because in the chance she tagged a feeder crawling in the bin it would be less likely to impact.

I agree with Kaizen it is not as hard as people say -- if she is healthy she should lay fine.

I will say that there are many ways to keep a chameleon--the best way to judge what UVB you have / need is to buy a uv meter and those are pricey.

Repot all plants with a natural soil no pesticides or fertilizer and no vermiculite if you are worried about dirt ingestion and cover with rivet rock.

The substrate in the bin can really be whatever as long as it can hold a tunnel and doesnt have a bunch it chemicals or anything else weird in it.

Anamcara’s right on the money here. A uv meter is an awesome tool! Short of that, just remember what species you have: it’s a veiled, not a panther, Jackson’s or parsons. It’s arboreal, but from the semi-arid, acacia laden parts of the Arabian peninsula. She’s used to sun; more so than her Malagasy/African cousins.

Like I said guys thank you so much. I've never had a community so well put together answer questions. Everyone seems to know what they're talking about and people are okay with different opinions and options. I am so glad to be a member of such a well put together group of people. Ill start a new post tomorrow after I've gotten her some new things to just kinda update everyone. You guys should be proud of your knowledge and the ability to help. I am beyond thankful. The more I think about it, I don't think I would be doing so well without everyone here's help.

Back
Top Bottom