Water proofing....

BPelizabeth

Not sure if some of you have had issues with water damage with auto misters around your cages. My husband and I recently re-did our reptile room and came up with a system of dealing with all the water after misting.

Background our chams were in my sons room and the amount of water damage was incredible....so...here is our step by step fix...hope it helps someone.

Depending on your set up...you will need heavy duty tub liner, a heavy duty staple gun, 2 tubes of liquid nails, and a couple of 6x1 boards. Plus something to set cages on.

Our chams are set up on metal shelving with wood bottoms. First we polyurethaned the wood boards. (you don't need to do this however we dd this just for added assuarance.

Take your tub line and figure where you want it and how high...make sure its pretty even from side to side. Then you will cut the top back to fit your space.
setup004.jpg

Glue the back on with liquid nails and rub it down good to make sure there are no bubbles. Then for added strength staple only the across the top

setup005.jpg

Cut 3 boards to fit in your space fairly snuggly. Once fitted in you can cut the tub liner to fit up and over the boards.

setup006.jpg

Go ahead and lift the bottom and put liquid nails down ...again make sure to really rub this down well as there are no bubbles. DO NOT use staples on the any of the bottom part. (you don't want any leakage).

setup007.jpg

Wrap and glue the edges over top of the wood and on the outside of the area you can again use staples for added strength. Make sure to use water proof caulking to the side of the areas where you cut to fit. This will ensure no water will get out!!!

Once completed you will want something to hold the cages up from the floor as you do NOT want the cages sitting in water. We used clear containers from the dollar store as bricks would of added too much weight.
setup008.jpg

At this point you can take the cages and place them onto your containers and finish the set up.

setup009.jpg

setup010.jpg

You have 2 options as to what to do with the standing water at the bottom. You can either clean it up each day or you can plant something. We have looked into safe plants for the chams that can grow in the water without any soil. We found that sweet potatoes do not need water and have fairly pretty vines that grow easily. Also this is not a toxic plant should they decide to take a little munch here and there. We live in AZ so humidity is not a problem for us. Im sure some of you in other states might have a problem with doing this.

Ok if you have any questions please feel free to PM me....hope this helps someone that has the same issues as we were having.

Back
Top Bottom