Water fountain does it work for small chams?

laurie

Retired Moderator
Hey I have been hearing lots of good stuff about the water fountain for chameleons. Can someone give me info on where to get it, how it works, and if it is safe for a small cham like a juvi werneri? More water is always good for montanes but I don't want one of my little guys to drown.

Thanks for the opinions.

Are you referring to the chameleon cantina? If so there was a thread about it like a Week ago but I don't think there was anyone who actually owned one.. I would like to know also

Definitely can't wait to see your opinion on it.. although they are generally brushed off as a bacteria factory around here when I first started keeping chameleons in the early 2000's I had a repti rapids waterfall in all of my cages. Me and the chameleons both loved it. It put me to sleep and I had one particular veiled that it was the only way he would drink. I just had it sitting on a shelf about 3/4 off the way up the cage so they wouldn't poo in it on the bottom.. now that repti rapids is a far stretch from the cantina lol.. But same premise lol.. can't wait to hear your opinion on it.

Watch "Chameleon Cantina Drinking Fountain" on YouTube
Chameleon Cantina Drinking Fountain: http://youtu.be/DaKsqLG_1Pg

That guys Jackson's seem to love it lol.. I didn't realize it was so cheap I may have to try one for myself.. well not myself but for my chams lol

I ordered one. I made something like this years ago using a Fluval aquarium filter but it was messy being homemade. This looks good...I'll try anything once considering the all the quads I have.

Laurie the trick is making sure the chams cant be above it and crap in it. Also make sure that if an animal falls in it can grab things and climb up and out.

OldChamKeeper uses his and does great, he has even seen his cham drink. He is the man to ask.

I put mine in a location that allowed it to fall, scared the crap out of my cham. I will be moving it to another cham, but wanted to wait a while and make sure it was completely clean. I will let you guys know.

I have used one for about 3 weeks now. My chameleon took to it right away, I saw him drink out of it as soon as i put it in. However, I have not seen him since. I can only assume he is still drinking from it because his Urates are white and he doesn't drink when I mist.
As far as bacteria goes, I have noticed a few crickets have hopped into the cantina from time to time but I check it daily and just remove them. I have not noticed any other bacteria forming but I do clean and wipe it out weekly.

I've had mine now for a few weeks.

One - I placed it where it won't fall (don't trust that damn suction cup) and placed to where it won't be bombed by the cham. So far so good.

Two - no feeders can get into it.

Three - one branch comes up near it to where the cham can just lean out and drink from it. I've caught her using it once. She still drinks from my drip however so it's not a 100% replacement for using a drip in my opinion.

Four - I'll buy a few more. That should say it all since I don't waste money on things.

The only way this is useful if you make damn sure the animal can't crap in it and feeders can't get in it. Cleaning it is not hard.

okay, one more question before i decide to buy this or not, is it possible to hang it in the cage? whether it be built in or makeshift

Back
Top Bottom