water falls

kevin99

:confused: Hi I'm new to the forum, and also a new chameleon owner. If anyone has any suggestions about the water falls that you put in the cages, I would be very appreciative. I can get it to work, and when I wake up the next morning, the water is all over the bottom of the cage, instead of in the falls. Does anyone know of a way to keep it from doing this. Also, I want to know if I need the red heat lite for nite time to keep my chameleon warm. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Yes, to keep this from happening take it out, put it in the box it came in and return it to PetsMart. It is not necessary, and in fact dangerous to your chameleon. Run a search for more info.

Well, waterfalls are not really recommended in chameleon enclosures. Preferred methods to provide water for a chameleon are by misting them, or providing a dripper in the cage (usually a container of water that allows water to drip onto a plant inside the cage).
Both of these methods require that you have some sort of drainage strategy within the cage.
If your cage was properly drained, then the water spilling out of the waterfall wouldn't be too much of a problem.

The reason waterfalls are not recommended is because the water that pools at the bottom of the waterfall can be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria within the cage (particularly with the warm temperatures in a cage).
If you keep it spotlessly clean (i.e. recycling the water and cleaning the bottom pool daily) you won't have a problem. However this is more effort than it is worth, because if you are misting the cage properly, your cham probably won't even be drinking from the waterfall.
The bacteria problem applies to all pools of standing water - this is another reason why chameleons are not give bowls of water to drink from (besides the fact that most of them won't even drink from the bowls).

You don't mention what species of chameleon you have, but for most of the common species a night heat lamp is not required. Chameleons benefit from a drop in temperature at night (just like they would get in nature). It is recommended that the cage temperature drops by about 10 degrees (F) at night. You will only need the night heat light if you live in a really cold climate where the temperature in the cage would regularly and for long periods drop below 60F (some species can tolerate colder).

you beat me to my answer, wellput

Well, waterfalls are not really recommended in chameleon enclosures. Preferred methods to provide water for a chameleon are by misting them, or providing a dripper in the cage (usually a container of water that allows water to drip onto a plant inside the cage).
Both of these methods require that you have some sort of drainage strategy within the cage.
If your cage was properly drained, then the water spilling out of the waterfall wouldn't be too much of a problem.

The reason waterfalls are not recommended is because the water that pools at the bottom of the waterfall can be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria within the cage (particularly with the warm temperatures in a cage).
If you keep it spotlessly clean (i.e. recycling the water and cleaning the bottom pool daily) you won't have a problem. However this is more effort than it is worth, because if you are misting the cage properly, your cham probably won't even be drinking from the waterfall.
The bacteria problem applies to all pools of standing water - this is another reason why chameleons are not give bowls of water to drink from (besides the fact that most of them won't even drink from the bowls).

You don't mention what species of chameleon you have, but for most of the common species a night heat lamp is not required. Chameleons benefit from a drop in temperature at night (just like they would get in nature). It is recommended that the cage temperature drops by about 10 degrees (F) at night. You will only need the night heat light if you live in a really cold climate where the temperature in the cage would regularly and for long periods drop below 60F (some species can tolerate colder).

waterfalls

Thank you for your help. I have a baby veiled chameleon...by the way. I really appreciate the info. If I get a mister or a dripping system, do I still need a draining system? Thanks!

Yes, to keep this from happening take it out, put it in the box it came in and return it to PetsMart. It is not necessary, and in fact dangerous to your chameleon. Run a search for more info.

Hi Zeah, can you tell me how a waterfall is dangerous if it's cleaned and has no pool that is a drowning hazard? I keep hearing how bad they are but if they're kept right I don't see what the problem is

Insects poop on the waterfall...chameleons poop on it...then water runs over the bacteria. Take a sample of that water into your health dept after a day or 2 and ask them to check bacteria levels...you would be surprised.

Cozzy,
The better question is how are they beneficial? They in no way improve on the chameleons captive habitat. Chameleons have a tendency to defecate in moving water, likely an instinct if they poop in a stream poop goes away. Crickets are ridiculously poor swimmers, 20 or 30 of them can drown in a single drop of water not sure why they are so stupid. Bacteria like warm, gently flowing water. Hobbyist are lazy.

In theory if one cleaned it DAILY (bleach and dishwasher), and wrapped it in hardware mesh, it would pose no danger you are correct. But what benefit is it. Your cham cannot get to it to drink (assuming it would even try), and there are easier means of raising humidity that provide other benefits.

i recently put in a waterfall and i think it helps in 2 ways

1) Raised the humidity about 10%
2) The sound is very relaxing

I dont see a problem aslong as the cham doesnt drink from the water. Also all of my crickets are held in a cup so that is not a issue. And i will play the odds that my cham wont poop in the water

LMAO....if you want the "relaxing" sound of water, put a fish tank in the room. This will also add moisture to the air as it evaporates from the tank. I have one in my room where Bubba is. :p

Back
Top Bottom