Water distiller?

Toothless the cham

Established Member
so I was looking on eBay and trying to find a water distiller to save us money cuz we buy tons of Gail gallons of distilled water every month. And I am wondering what the best ones to buy is? I was wondering which ones would be worth my money. Any suggestions anyone?

I’ve been looking to at RO systems on amazon, RO Buddy seems to have good reviews buy the aquatic people. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet myself but I plan on it soon.

I’ve been looking to at RO systems on amazon, RO Buddy seems to have good reviews buy the aquatic people. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet myself but I plan on it soon.

I had the RO buddie since I have a 180gal salt aquarium. It takes a long time to make water depending on which system you get.

I upgraded to the liquigen but probably overkill unless you have a need for a lot of RO.

LiquaGen - 6 Stage Heavy Duty - 0 PPM Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Aquarium Reef Water Filter System, 150 GPD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LYZYUJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PT7wCbMGNTKV9

I have some sensitive fish so the water has to be super clean. This system tests the incoming and compares it to the outgoing to make sure your at 0.

The buddie should be fine. I think you just have to use their filters when they need to be changed. It's the cheapest system that does a decent job. Get the biggest one. I think the 100 or whatever it's called. The higher the number the faster it will make water.

Yeah that's the one. I had the 4 stage but the 3 stage is plenty for reptiles. It's easily the best bang for your buck and I never once had a problem with algae build up. Just keep in mind that the filters won't last as long as it says if your tap water is really dirty.

I ended up installing a whole house filter system since ours was dirty.

Yeah that's the one. I had the 4 stage but the 3 stage is plenty for reptiles. It's easily the best bang for your buck and I never once had a problem with algae build up. Just keep in mind that the filters won't last as long as it says if your tap water is really dirty.

I ended up installing a whole house filter system since ours was dirty.
Hey Josh with these buddie systems how do you know when the filters need to be replaced?

Hey Josh with these buddie systems how do you know when the filters need to be replaced?

You need to test the water every so often with a TDS meter. If the meter starts showing anything more than 0 its time to replace the filter media. The RO membrane is usually good for a year or so. The other media, for me atleast, tends to be changed out every 6 months.

I make RO water for all my reptiles and my reef aquarium.

@Toothless the cham a decent 4 stage RO system will be more simple to setup and use compared to a distiller.

You need to test the water every so often with a TDS meter. If the meter starts showing anything more than 0 its time to replace the filter media. The RO membrane is usually good for a year or so. The other media, for me atleast, tends to be changed out every 6 months.

I make RO water for all my reptiles and my reef aquarium.

@Toothless the cham a decent 4 stage RO system will be more simple to setup and use compared to a distiller.

This is exactly right. The media in the 4th stage in the buddie will change from blue to yellow when it needs to be changed. That's if you get the 4stage.

My liquigen had the TDS meter built in so I can see the reading all the time.

Uhh have you checked the electricity usage of the distiller. Last time i checked it was 3-4kwh per gallon. Here where there is a lot of appalachian americans, its only 5 cents a kwh, so 15-20 cents a gallon. If you can see sand from your house, it might be over 25 cents a kwh, so you are talking a buck a gallon. At that price you just buy it from the store.

Not worth it, ro wastes hundreds of gallons, distilled water is a dollar a gallon, how much you need?
Only cheap way is to keep a dehumidifier spotlessly clean, not worth the effort

Not worth it, ro wastes hundreds of gallons, distilled water is a dollar a gallon, how much you need?
Only cheap way is to keep a dehumidifier spotlessly clean, not worth the effort

With RO you can collect the waste water and use for washing laundry, dishes, and other stuff. Its only a waste if you dont repurpose the water. I personally use my RO waste water for filling my laundry machine before washing and also for watering plants outside.

With RO you can collect the waste water and use for washing laundry, dishes, and other stuff. Its only a waste if you dont repurpose the water. I personally use my RO waste water for filling my laundry machine before washing and also for watering plants outside.

Agreed. I use the waste water for the grass instead of sprinklers. I hooked up the system outside so it drains into the grass. I know it's too cold for some of you to do that.

That sounds good on paper, but I'm willing to bet most people wouldn't bother using the water. It's not like you can just let it sit for days. Plus the RO unit itself requires a bit of sink space and fittings and without a slop sink it gets messy and crowded fast.
The resins/membranes don't last long either, it's not like the initial investment and unit is all you need to think about.

Back
Top Bottom