Water Cup Method and Buckets?

Dürja

Hi there!

I'm a somewhat long time chameleon owner but new member to these boards. I'm looking forward to getting to know people here and continuing to explore these wonderful animals with some like minded people. I've owned chameleons for about five years now, so I guess "long time" isn't really the best word choice. I currently own Veiled, Panther (Ambanja and Ambilobe), as well as a few Montane species. I love these animals dearly, and each and every one of them has been a wonderful addition to my life.

So, I recently decided to check out the chameleon subreddit and stumbled upon some information that was odd to me. One of the sub's mods, who has apparently been keeping chameleons for 15+ years, has been quite forcefully been spreading information about two methods he uses.

The first he calls the Water Cup Method, or something similar, in which you literally just put a large cup of water in your chameleon's enclosure and stop all misting or dripping. He talks about how chameleons can easily be trained to drink from standing water, and that the humidity levels will always be perfect. He also talks about how misting causes a variety of problems and is actually quite detrimental to your animal.

The second thing he preaches is that baby, juvenile and sub-adult chameleons should be kept in buckets instead of vivariums. He indicates that they need very small confined areas with little vegetation, climbing space, or hiding spots to thrive when young.

I'm just curious what opinions you all might have on these matters. While I haven't been keeping these animals anywhere near 15 years, I can't help but feel like the methods I use (which seem to be widely accepted by the vast majority of all chameleon keepers and breeders) are wrong. That said, it seems so weird that a subreddit with literally thousands of members would so willingly accept this mod's ideas if there wasn't some validity to them. Just curious what everyone has to say.

Back
Top Bottom