r/chameleons advice?

I hardly ever posted to the chameleon subreddit in my earlier years, but I had to leave it after seeing so many sick chams posted there because they followed the lousy husbandry advice. Literally the link posted in OP's post sites "TOO MANY PLANTS" as an issue lmao. What a joke and a detriment to the safekeeping of these animals.

I hardly ever posted to the chameleon subreddit in my earlier years, but I had to leave it after seeing so many sick chams posted there because they followed the lousy husbandry advice. Literally the link posted in OP's post sites "TOO MANY PLANTS" as an issue lmao. What a joke and a detriment to the safekeeping of these animals.
Actually that was one of the points I could agree with. Panthers and veiled don’t come from rainforests. Panthers especially are almost always recorded to be found out in the open showing off. Of course they like places to hide, but an enclosure can absolutely have too many plants for some species.

It's literally not forcing them. A lot of people even just noticed their chameleon would go for the container catching water from their dripper. some people also just still use a dripper and clean out the catch bowl every day. It specifically need to be a clear bowl/glass that catches light rays to show the chameleon it is clean water...

It's fine if you haven't read everything in the subreddit but you can at least say that instead of making assumptions about abusing animals...

I'm not one of the mods on reddit so rest assured I'm not one of the (reddit people) like (mayhaps unintentionally) implied :D I think either can work, just the water glass is better for me especially with the room I have.

I really appreciate your answer James as it's not as inflammatory/accusing. I only have a panther so I don't pretend to know as much about other species. Plus most of the advice applies to the big 3 (panthers, veileds, some jacksons) and not really with more specialized species. And yeah unfortunately I see it here a lot too, newer owners don't come until they have a problem with their animal and need to change almost immediately :(

It's fine, I get it no worries I don't want to cause more of a stir than there already is. I'll go back to lurking and just enjoying chameleon content from afar :) I really do enjoy the content here and just wanted to give my two cents!
That’s fair! I mean if someone has a fresh/clean glass of water and the chameleon wants to drink from it, I don’t see the issue. I think most people here are mainly concerned about recommending that as the primary method of hydration. What many of us focus on is what would work safely and effectively for the broadest range of people. Sometimes you see people on sites/whatever that want to do something different, just for the sake of it, and then use that as a way to try and make themselves a somebody. For every successful* person with 10 years experience giving chams a water dish, there’s probably many more using the misting method. Not to say the other is wrong if it’s worked for them, but IMO it definitely doesn’t mean misting is wrong either. Lastly, you do get the newbie phenomenon that often happens, where once we start to get a grip on the Cham keeping, we like to share that info and if someone does something differently we have the tendency to want to shut it down. Once we’ve been in the hobby for years it seems to mellow us out some lol. Things have been changing a lot these past few years, from hydration to bioactive becoming more mainstream… even what we know about chams seems to change every year. I think it’s generally good to just be open minded and honest about how our chams seem to be doing with our husbandry(try our best to leave our own egos out of it).

Sorry btw, I didn’t have time to read through everything when I posted earlier and thought you may have been from reddit. I’m all for gathering info from multiple sources. I read Reddit personally for people’s experiences with different (human) supplements and random informative things. I try to sum up what I see from a large range of people rather than listen religiously to any one person.

Also, don’t stop posting! We’re happy to have you here.

That's because the mods remove or ban anyone that does.

I won't even have my chameleon for a couple months, so I'm hesitant to give advice, but from lurking here and watching and listening to the Chameleon academy podcasts, I can tell that /r/Chameleons is a joke. Sure it's been around a while, but with the water cup, misting, removing links to videos from Neptune the Chameleon because "We don't allow for monetized linking like that.", removing all links to the forums, and other bad behavior, it's clear that they aren't the best source of information and /r/Chameleons is probably one of the worst chameleon forums out there.

I want to make a better subreddit, but will probably wait to promote it until I have at least some experience.
can confirm this was banned yesterday from the sub. Disagreed with the water bowl method. They seem to think a Shot glass with water in it will suffice for hydration without misting..👀😔 If you make a new subreddit lmk ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom