Water Collection

Southernmost

Water Collection (Ver 2.0)

Finished this today, not 100% what I wanted but alot better than what I had,(nothing). It seems to work ok, I can use my dripper alot more now, and plus its alot easier to clean out the bottom of the cage.

Any suggestions? the bottom of the cage is 30" across the front, 18" deep and 36" high.

5aug06.jpg

5aug061.jpg

5aug062.jpg

Ok version 2.0, I couldnt stand the way the flimsy shelf made my plants lean into the center so I had to do some mods. I used an inverted wire drawer from the hardware store and cut the front out it so I could slide the drip tray in and out, It looks alot better and works better too.

ABOVE.jpg

NEWCOLLECTION.jpg

SIDE.jpg

Last edited:
looking good :)

I have used a similar setup. Try and make sure your cham can not get under the wire frame. Another option that a lot of keepers do is to add a drain and collect the water in a container located below the cage.

Brad said:
looking good :)

I have used a similar setup. Try and make sure your cham can not get under the wire frame. Another option that a lot of keepers do is to add a drain and collect the water in a container located below the cage.

Thanks, I must say Ive done alot to the cage since I got it, This site has really helped out. I wanted to do an under cage collection but cant beacuse of the stand its on, :( , deff. later :D

if you still have water leaking out then go check out the setups they put over a plastic laundry tub...those are only 20-25 dollars and will catch everything

ChameleonsTree said:
if you still have water leaking out then go check out the setups they put over a plastic laundry tub...those are only 20-25 dollars and will catch everything

yeah I really like those, theres one in my future!

Eric, if that is half hearted, I would really like to see what you do when you really put your heart into it. I love that drain setup.

Heika

Thanks!

It looks good, but it's really a bunch of things thrown together, one after the other. The mist system makes a lot of runoff, so I had to use a catch basin to collect all the water. I used some spare storage bin lids, with a hole cut in the middle. I got sick of keeping little containers under each cage, so I went to home depot and got some pvc. they had these little fittings that had a lip on one end, amd they fit perfectly into the bottom of the drain pans, allowing me to connect a pipe.

The problem is the lips, though small, are not flush with the bottom of the drain pan, so some water accumulates. Also, the drain pans are not ideally suited for this, so some water still accumulates in them - requiring occational work.

I kept it really simple for good reason - we're moving as soon as I get a job. I have an interview tomorrow, and I have high expectations. Hopefully, I'll ge tthe job, put in my two weeks, and then I'm gone.

We're going to live with my in-laws temporarily. I'll have to build shelves in their basement, and then I can just put everyting together like it is now.

When I get a more permanant house, I'll make it much nicer. The plastic appliance drain pans are what I'm probably going to use. They have a drain built in, so all you need to do is hook it to a pvc pipe. They're nice and strong, but a little big - and expensive (about $20) - for my purposes now.

The pvc is really cheap - it only cost me around $10 for everything.

You can go to Walmart and buy these heavy duty plastic garage shelves that are like 4 or 5 levels high. Then just buy a storage bin as big as you fit in between the 1st and 2nd levels and just empty it every day. You will have some extra poles for the extra levels I used them to hold the heating lamp. For twenty something dollars it worked effectively in collecting the water, got the cage up off the ground a signifigantly, and was light weight. You could just un hook the second shelve, pull the poles off where the light were and carry the whole cage outside with out upsetting them to bad. They are a little tacky I guess.

Back
Top Bottom