Water and Humidity Techniques

k8shm8

So I found this method under the care sheets to help provide water to a chameleon. I was thinking of giving it a try and was wondering if anybody else has tried this?

Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method.

Thanks!

Best way to provide hydration to your chameleon with minimal stress is a high quality misting system. Mist King makes a great system to allow you full control over how often and how long you mist the cage.

Recommended misting is generally 3 or more times per day with misting duration of 3-5 minutes each time.

I see from your other thread you are rehabbing a "rescue" in this case starting with a shower to rehydrate him is a good plan and can be effective. If your cage has a drainage system it might be less stressful for your new guy to be hand misted in the cage with a pressurized misting bottle. If your drainage won't take that much water then go with a shower.
You will need to get your misting system working and use a dripper during the days and possibly a cool mist humidifier at night to make up what he didn't get in his previous situation.

I see from your other thread you are rehabbing a "rescue" in this case starting with a shower to rehydrate him is a good plan and can be effective. If your cage has a drainage system it might be less stressful for your new guy to be hand misted in the cage with a pressurized misting bottle. If your drainage won't take that much water then go with a shower.
You will need to get your misting system working and use a dripper during the days and possibly a cool mist humidifier at night to make up what he didn't get in his previous situation.

Yeah, he is a "rescue" per say. He seems to be doing okay and I currently mist 3/4 times per day for about 3 minutes per mist. I am struggling to keep humidity so everytime I check on him, the leaves (fake) are dry. I have been keeping an eye on him for signs of dehydration like sunken in eyes or lethargy. I am going to an expo on Feb 2nd to ask the breeder for some recommendations. I plan on switching him into a bioactive vivarium to help with my current humidity issue.

Back
Top Bottom