was this safe or should I be worried?

MangoTango

Established Member
my female veiled cham ate a few bits off of the plant in her enclosure, a ficus lyrata. should I be worried? she’s acting fine

You should be safe. Your cham is not going to die. All ficus (genus) plants that I know of produce sap. Yet, Ficus benjamin (a sap producer) is considered plant safe on chameleon academy and many other websites. I'm certain your cham will be fine. Just make sure that the sap (if any) is cleaned up. The sap could gum up the eyes if rubbed against. Otherwise, you should be fine.

You should be safe. Your cham is not going to die. All ficus (genus) plants that I know of produce sap. Yet, Ficus benjamin (a sap producer) is considered plant safe on chameleon academy and many other websites. I'm certain your cham will be fine. Just make sure that the sap (if any) is cleaned up. The sap could gum up the eyes if rubbed against. Otherwise, you should be fine.
omg what a relief thank you so much

Also, you should take a picture of the leaf that was bitten. Keep an eye on your cham. In a couple days, send a picture of both to Bill Strand and he'll upload it to his website. We hardly know what is safe and what is harmful. But datapoints like this are extremely helpful.

Also, you should take a picture of the leaf that was bitten. Keep an eye on your cham. In a couple days, send a picture of both to Bill Strand and he'll upload it to his website. We hardly know what is safe and what is harmful. But datapoints like this are extremely helpful.
I literally cut off the leaves that she bit bc she kept going back to those two so I was trying to see if she would stop

If you still have the leaf in the garbage can or something and are willing to pull it out. It doesn't need to be attached to the plant.

Back
Top Bottom