Was prescribed Baytril, worried about hydration.

Graves923

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just got Kyle, my 6-7 month male veiled, back from the vet for some yellow bumps that turned out to be fluid filled cysts from a skin infection. I was prescribed .02cc of Baytril orally for 10 days. My cham weighed in at 97 grams in case anyone was curious.

Reading up on the antibiotic I am worried about my cham becoming dehydrated during treatment. I plan to increase misting time and frequency while treating but have read that some chams stop drinking altogether during treatment. If thats the case, how can I assure he is getting enough water?

Any recommendations? Just want to be prepared for what ever else happens.

When my Cham was on baytril, I injected the baytril in a feeder (superworm, or cricket), fed it right after, and when he finished eating it and did his little opening and closing of his mouth towards the end, I used a syringe (without needle of course) and dripped water in his mouth. He did just fine and wasn't scared of the syringe

Your vet can show you how to force feed fluids if it comes to that. There are instructions in the resources section on how to give meds. That would be as a last resort.
I would do as you plan with increased mistings and use the shower method to encourage drinking.

Cool deal. He showed me how to administer the antibiotic using the syringe which I imagine would be the same with the water if I had to force feed.

Good that your thinking ahead. I would just monitor intake the best you can and keep that as an option.
Hornworms are good juicy feeders that would be a good way to keep hydration up.

Personally, i've never seen a chameleon survive more than 3 month after a baytril treatment.. so i avoid it..
if its possible.. feed with silk worm, stop the dusting and +++ water and boost the temperature a bit. Good luck

Did the vet do a culture and sensitivity test? I'd be interested in knowing what the bacteria was or if it was viral or fungal.

Concerning the baytril...over the years I've had it prescribed for quite a few chameleons and not had a problem as long as the chameleons were well hydrated.....so hydrate, hydrate!

Personally, i've never seen a chameleon survive more than 3 month after a baytril treatment.. so i avoid it..
if its possible.. feed with silk worm, stop the dusting and +++ water and boost the temperature a bit. Good luck

Then you have either bad luck. A bad Vet. Or any number of issues that might belong to you as a keeper. This is a horrible statement and needs to be corrected for those newer members who might read it..

So let me counter it: I've used Baytril on a number of reptiles over the 40 years I've kept reptiles. When used correctly, when the animal is seen by a competent reptile Vet, when the animal has a competent owner, when the animal has a little a luck (all sick animals need that), Baytril can work. Especially on systemic infections which the average skin infection becomes.

As for hydration? Easy. Set up a ficus tree or even just some branches and a fake plant in your shower. Put the cham in there for 20-30 mins with room temp water (not hot or cold) and he'll drink if he needs it. Do it every other day and it will stay hydrated during your medical treatment. Hand misting won't cut it, ever.

Then you have either bad luck. A bad Vet. Or any number of issues that might belong to you as a keeper. This is a horrible statement and needs to be corrected for those newer members who might read it..

So let me counter it: I've used Baytril on a number of reptiles over the 40 years I've kept reptiles. When used correctly, when the animal is seen by a competent reptile Vet, when the animal has a competent owner, when the animal has a little a luck (all sick animals need that), Baytril can work. Especially on systemic infections which the average skin infection becomes.

As for hydration? Easy. Set up a ficus tree or even just some branches and a fake plant in your shower. Put the cham in there for 20-30 mins with room temp water (not hot or cold) and he'll drink if he needs it. Do it every other day and it will stay hydrated during your medical treatment. Hand misting won't cut it, ever.

Im sure it can work.. but i never had one real example with a chameleon, glad it work for you (by lizard you mean chameleon or other lizard?) and yes.. here vet are not amazing with chameleons.. many time they give prescription without any test.. and over dose the animal (particulary with mountain speacies..) Ps : all my animal are in good shape.. i juste avoid medication like baytril (but i deal with melleri.. they are more fragile)

Im sure it can work.. but i never had one real example with a chameleon, glad it work for you (by lizard you mean chameleon or other lizard?)

Many chameleons. The main trick to success with Baytril is hydration. Followed by if the animal was seen in time by a vet. All animals have a point of no return. Discouraging people from using Baytril however if that is all they have access to via a vet isn't helpful.

Seriously? I guess mine beat the odds then. It really is the prescribed antibiotic, especially for RI's and such. I would think if it was a death sentence for chameleons or other reptiles it would not be prescribed. Maybe others can chime in on this subject. Just never heard this before.

Seriously? I guess mine beat the odds then. It really is the prescribed antibiotic, especially for RI's and such. I would think if it was a death sentence for chameleons or other reptiles it would not be prescribed. Maybe others can chime in on this subject. Just never heard this before.

YEah, in fact i think i have to add two point : i deal with montain and wc (but my animal dont need baytril anyway i use trimsulfa or reptaid and they tolerate trimsulfa low dosage) and.. im from quebec.. the vet dont really know chameleons so they give baytril without any advice.. i think i was a bit upset and tired when i have post my post :p i need to edit this post :/

YEah, in fact i think i have to add two point : i deal with montain and wc (but my animal dont need baytril anyway i use trimsulfa or reptaid and they tolerate trimsulfa low dosage) and.. im from quebec.. the vet dont really know chameleons so they give baytril without any advice.. i think i was a bit upset and tired when i have post my post :p i need to edit this post :/
Well I am glad you are correcting yourself, because as Old Cham Keeper stated, telling people to avoid it or not use because it will kill their chameleon is just plain wrong. I don't know anything about keeping Montane's so I will not comment on something I have no experience with.

I deal with wild caught montane species and not one animal that I have given Baytril to (under vet's care) has died. I've used Baytril orally and injected it. It is an excellent broad spectrum antibiotic.

Any vet can look up the dosage for chameleons. If your vet can't or won't buy yourself a current veterinary text book on reptiles buy one yourself and bring it in to the vet during any office visits. One of my vets will consult two or three different text books when deciding on a dosage.

I also want to add that the vet who prescribed injections is very knowledgeable.

It is important to understand that Baytril in general is not a good drug to inject because it is so caustic and will cause severe damage to tissue at the injection site as well as severe burning pain. My vet was very careful with the strength to not cause damage. Injections of Baytril should only be done under the guidance of very experienced reptile vets.

I've worked with plenty of Montanes. The Trimethsulfa is a good medication, use it myself, but there are times it won't cut it. Baytril tends to work where that won't.

The main thing you have to do with a Montane on Baytril is hydration combined with good ventilation (Some people have the humidity way too high, I'm guessing if your animal is on Baytril it has a RI.) An RI combined with stagnant air results in death regardless of the medication, ever think on that? Might not be the Baytril. I don't know your level of experience and I'm not attacking you just to be clear. I'm sharing the thought that you may not have learned some of the parameters that involve an animal getting sick and the intricacies involved in getting a cham well. I've walked those hallways many a time... you could have the right med, even the right vet, and if you don't know the reasons for the illness in the first place or possible complication factors... well... it would like the Baytril failed.

Overall, Baytril is solid as a med. BUT you need a solid vet, a solid keeper, and a half alive Cham for there to be a chance it will work. A near death cham (common, many wait too long to treat their animals) won't survive in most cases no matter what you try. There are exceptions to that, but not many.

I've worked with plenty of Montanes. The Trimethsulfa is a good medication, use it myself, but there are times it won't cut it. Baytril tends to work where that won't.

The main thing you have to do with a Montane on Baytril is hydration combined with good ventilation (Some people have the humidity way too high, I'm guessing if your animal is on Baytril it has a RI.) An RI combined with stagnant air results in death regardless of the medication, ever think on that? Might not be the Baytril. I don't know your level of experience and I'm not attacking you just to be clear. I'm sharing the thought that you may not have learned some of the parameters that involve an animal getting sick and the intricacies involved in getting a cham well. I've walked those hallways many a time... you could have the right med, even the right vet, and if you don't know the reasons for the illness in the first place or possible complication factors... well... it would like the Baytril failed.

Overall, Baytril is solid as a med. BUT you need a solid vet, a solid keeper, and a half alive Cham for there to be a chance it will work. A near death cham (common, many wait too long to treat their animals) won't survive in most cases no matter what you try. There are exceptions to that, but not many.

I think you right.. i should remove my post in fact.. like i said i was super tired and.. stuborn :p i have try baytril with a rescue one time but he was so sick.. and one vet give a big dose of ivermectin before my other vet try with baytril and he died. i think you bring me lot of case with baytril should work so it can change my opinion about this medication.. Anyway, i dont need this medication because all my cham are in a good shape. I keep my finger crossed but i feela bit more confortable with Baytril (with hydratation).
Thank and sorry about my drama post ;)

I think you right.. i should remove my post in fact.. like i said i was super tired and.. stuborn :p i have try baytril with a rescue one time but he was so sick.. and one vet give a big dose of ivermectin before my other vet try with baytril and he died. i think you bring me lot of case with baytril should work so it can change my opinion about this medication.. Anyway, i dont need this medication because all my cham are in a good shape. I keep my finger crossed but i feela bit more confortable with Baytril (with hydratation).
Thank and sorry about my drama post ;)

Ivermectin is not a good drug for chameleons. That might have been half your problem.

Ivermectin is not a good drug for chameleons. That might have been half your problem.

yeah.. and without fecal test.. worst vet ever.. but for baytril people report really bad story but i realise i have no experience of baytril alone and probably the vet give baytril without any advice and without fixing the problem (i think usually when one animal is sick there is always a reason under..) (and.. in my case im sure ivermectin was my problem.. using ivermectin with sick animal was a stupid move..)

so thats why i apologise.. i was a bit humm.. anyway you get the point :p lol

Back
Top Bottom