WARNING ! WARNING !!! VERY GRAPHIC fetus pics - very sad

Over time I'm sure there is risk with radiation, however it is small. To give you an idea, to try to track a foreign body through the GI tract in dogs sometimes we will do 6-15 X-rays just in one day! And we don't worry about it because radiation sickness is very very rarely seen in animals and usually due to focus radiation for cancer treatment purposes. I wouldn't be doing them daily necessarily, but around weekly during a month span of being gravid is nothing I would worry about personally.

I have to commend you on being brave enough to do this. I know it's hard enough to do this to a mouse that I have no emotional bond with, I can't even imagine doing it to a beloved pet. I think this will be valuable information in the future.
By the way, I'm amazed at how similar the uterus is to that of a mouse.

I have noticed, that all animals who have multi litters/clutches, seem to have basically the same uterus - and then like horses, and cows, have the horns, but the baby grows in the "main body" , but is still in a horn- we used to have to turn the birth sack inside out on the mares, to be sure it was complete, but you could clearly see what horn the preg/ was in - and yes, it is hard to do, but if the babies were to have a chance, I could not linger on getting them out- I did cry when I was done :( and she is buried under my favorite tree , right along side Gail. My husband gets upset when I cry for them, he tells me "You knew this was going to happen, why do you keep doing this to yourself" - I do it because I HAVE saved some, and they all deserve a chance- my Olive- what a mess she came in - but just look at her now :D

Over time I'm sure there is risk with radiation, however it is small. To give you an idea, to try to track a foreign body through the GI tract in dogs sometimes we will do 6-15 X-rays just in one day! And we don't worry about it because radiation sickness is very very rarely seen in animals and usually due to focus radiation for cancer treatment purposes. I wouldn't be doing them daily necessarily, but around weekly during a month span of being gravid is nothing I would worry about personally.

ok, I was going to do them once a mo, starting on the 2nd mo, so she would only have a total of 4 or 5 , or maybe bi-weekly the last mo - as long as she is not freaked out about it- but I think it would be interesting to track it, and then there would be something to go off of - I had a heck of a time trying to find X rays of preg / jacksons -
Thanks for all you help :)

This is so heart breaking and sad, I know you did everything possible for her and her babies....I'm so very sorry, it was hard for me to look at, I can't imagine how hard it was for you.

Cheryl, Thank you for sharing. I am really sorry that things did not turn out better, even with all of the effort you made, but great job trying. Although the exact cause may not be determined, at least the photos and information you shared prompted feedback from many knowledgeable members which provide a very educational opportunity for all.

I'm so sorry. I guess there just wasn't anything that could be done to prevent it. Thank you for sharing and being so brave to do necropsy and taking chams with so little hope.

Wow. Firstly, I am so sorry that she didn't make it. Jackons are so lovely and very rewarding. Secondly, I want to say thank you for posting the pics. I found it absolutely fascinating to learn that the young develop like that. I will share this thread with my friend who I got my Jackson from when she returns from her holiday as I think she will be interested too in seeing how the babies develop and are carried. If it wasn't for people like you being brave enough to do this and post the resulting pictures we would not know so much about these wonderful creatures.

It was seeing a post mortem anatomy photo on a different forum that made me realise that my male Veiled could actually have a problem with his liver. I took him to the vet who palpated him and felt nothing. I asked for xrays which revealed that he had a tumour on his liver. Had I not seen that photo, my dear old Tommy could have been put through a tough time in being treated for something else.

Back
Top Bottom