WARNING, GRAPHIC PHOTOS—Necropsy of Panther with severe nutritional MBD

P.S what was the husbandry history details?
I would like to know exactly what causes such extreme mbd and how long it takes to develop
so much organ damage!?

Is this the result of deliberate abuse by the owner?

I wish I had those answers for you, but the owner was very coy about his set up to my friend who owns the pet shop, and I really don't know too much more detail about that. however, this would typically be the results after one year or more of lousy husbandry. You could not get these kind of changes within six months or so for example.

Thank you for posting this - understanding my panther's anatomy helps me care for him better I think ... though the eye pics were hard to look at to me ...
I have a doctorate in psychology so seeing the design of the brain helped me to understand what is going on in his head .... though there is some recognition of people there - so there is a tiny bit of advanced processing ... I know mine will walk onto my hand but hiss and even strike at other people if they dare to put their hand in his space ...

ophthalmology in any species is one of my main interests, so pardon me if I "focused" on the eyes for a bit. ha ha......... but seriously, as they are one of the most unique eyes in the animal kingdom, and certainly very advanced compared to most reptiles. I think chameleon eyes are fascinating unto themselves.

yes, I said the reptilian brain is sex shelter and food, not necessarily in that order. I can play the uptight doctor/scientist and say that the chameleon coming on to us is an extension of shelter for them as they find out that not only do we do them no harm, we may actually even protect them from harm. but, the realist in me knows that is absolute bull. There is advanced recognition and I do completely agree. And now that I just got my first bearded dragon ever just a week or so ago, I am really seeing advanced recognition in a lizard! that boy has just wanted to live on my lap or my shoulder since the day that we got him.

I'm glad to see these up, Kevin! I think they're an awesome asset for members. Although I'm still sad that the little guy didn't make it, he seemed so sweet despite everything that was going on (until he pooped on Jonathan!)

My comment about the calcification was out of curiosity, since I didn't know what caused gritty organs but I'd read about the calcification of tissues.

I know your comment was out of curiosity, but that does not make it any less of an excellent question. and I think he was quite kind to even show us some of his gritty organs right there on Jonathan's T-shirt.:)

I wish I had those answers for you, but the owner was very coy about his set up to my friend who owns the pet shop, and I really don't know too much more detail about that. however, this would typically be the results after one year or more of lousy husbandry. You could not get these kind of changes within six months or so for example.

Thanks for the answer.
I am just at a loss at how anyone could let this happen w/o getting help, or, if not interested in the animal, give it up.
I have seen (I am sure you have be beat by a mile) so many ppl buy one of these delicate creatures and loss interst when the novilty wares off and simply ignor it to death!! :mad:

I would really love to have the high rez versions of all those pics.
I am sending u a PM :)

Thank you for taking the time to document and share this with us. I have been educated!

Poor little guy :( that video was hard to watch and brought tears to my eyes. It's horrible how some people treat their animals!

This is heartbreaking, fascinating and educational all at the same time. I sometimes wonder if information and / or images like this should be given to potential pet owners before they are allowed to buy. May put some people off buying something on a whim. Thanks for taking the time on this.

Dr. O, do chams brain sizes differ, and can one be more intelligent than the next. Reason for this question: in own a pair of veileds and a pair on ambilobe Panthers, my veileds look at me kind of in a negative way, like they don't like me/ interaction and I hear a lot of people say "that's a veiled for you" glove is required to keep stress down when changing the bedding. On the other hand, I can't open the door for two seconds until my panthers want to jump on me. But the also look at me like they love me. Kind of like how a dog looks when it's smiling and its ears are back. So is there a difference in intelligence due to brain size?

I'm waiting for my own to necropsy so we can have chameleon histology.

Didn't notice how old this thread is.

Back
Top Bottom