Warmer temp during winter months

Veiledcham920

This is my first winter with my Cham. I put his thermometer at his basking spot and it seems to be reading around 77 degrees. Should I be trying to get it warmer during these cold months? During summer and fall it seemed to stay around 85.

He is an adult male veiled. His enclosure is a 2X2X4 mesh. I use the t5 linear for UV and a 60watt basking bulb. He has had a thermal burn in the past and I get nervous about that happening again but at the same time want to make sure he’s comfortable.

I asked at a reptile store and was recommended to try a black light for extra heat. Wanted to ask here first if any one does this, just want to make sure it will be safe for him??

Does the black light have UVB in it? Are you talking about a black bulb or a black tube light?
Are you talking about increasing the heat in the daytime or night?

You can increase the wattage of the basking light...just make sure you test it. To test any basking light bulb to make sure it won't burn put your hand/under side of your wrist inside the cage at the closest spot to the light that you can get. If you want to move your hand/wrist, then it's too hot.

Last edited:
It’s says it’s radiant(infrared) light. So no they suggest using another uvb light to go along with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 62
It’s says it’s radiant(infrared) light. So no they suggest using another uvb light to go along with it.
I was asking so that if it was the type that produced UVB I could warn you not to use it. I assumed you'd already have a UVB light on the cage.

Are you trying to increase only the daytime temperature?

Use a higher wattage basking bulb to raise basking temps during the day. DO NOT USE THE BLACK LIGHT! At night, no heat source is needed unless it‘s constantly 30*s to low 40*s or below at night. If it gets that cold, use a ceramic heat emitter of the minimum wattage needed to raise it up to those temps

Back
Top Bottom