Wanting to start a Pygmy set up, any advice?

Clint526

Wife wants Pygmy chameleons, are they any different to keep than veileds or panthers? I heard somewhere that you can keep more then one in the same encloser as long as it's not crowded. I currently have a male and female ambilobe so that's what I'm used to. Thanks

Wife wants Pygmy chameleons, are they any different to keep than veileds or panthers? I heard somewhere that you can keep more then one in the same encloser as long as it's not crowded. I currently have a male and female ambilobe so that's what I'm used to. Thanks
Hello and welcome to a start with pygmys! I could say pygmys are the most entertaining chameleons I know. Care with pygmy's is much different then panther chameleons. They require a GLASS tank with high humidity of 60%-70%. Temps cannot exceed no higher than 80 degrees or there can be death in over heating. No uvb is required but if you want you can add a 5.0 but any growlight or old florescent bulb is good for lighting. These guys do wonder full in fully bioactive setups with 100% LIVE plants. NEVER house 2 males in together unless enclosure is 40 gallons+ they will try to fight. In a 10 gallon you can house 1 male 1 female, in a 20 you can house 1 male 2 female.you get it? Just adds up as the tank size is bigger . anybody could add on whatever I missed and good luck if you ever get pygmy's!

The hardest part IMHO, is creating a vivarium that will thrive.

To do so, you must have a few different layers of substrate, top soil, or dirt fertilizer free, weed blocking mesh, and some hydro balls.

To understand why you must first realize you are creating a natural environment for the plants, specifically umbrella plants or ficus plants.

To do this you need to create a drainage layer compensate for how much water you will be using.

Here is a picture of instructions and a few pictures of my actual set up.

The charcoal is optional but will help remove smells later down the road.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sounds easier to maintain once a good set up is running. Sounds like room temp with just a regular light will keep them happy. So I can keep 1 male and a female together in like a 10 gallon?

Sounds easier to maintain once a good set up is running. Sounds like room temp with just a regular light will keep them happy. So I can keep 1 male and a female together in like a 10 gallon?
Yes. Lots of plants and twigs is best to keep the 2 busy. If you don't want to deal with the breeding and males harassing Females, it will be good to instead house females together

For Brevicaudatus: Roomtemp during the day is ok (20-23°C), they really suffer from temps >25°C. During summer, lots of pygmy keepers are scratching their heads to keep them cooled down and keep them alive. Allthough they can survive if it's only shortly and you mist more frequently. They need a temperature drop during the night to 15-18°C. I would say humidity needs to be up to 70-90%.

I wouldn't recommend keeping males together at all. Even in a big viv, they can bump into each other, and if by coincidence the female is around too, then they will fight.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...hould-not-house-male-pygmies-together.146454/

The hardest part with pygmies is the fact that they are extremely fragile. When conditions aren't perfect for them, they get sick in an instant. Very often, they just drop dead without any visible warnings. And even when you find out they're sick, there is very little you can do about it, as they can't handle stress at all. Doing examinations, giving them meds, handling them, taking them for a ride to the vet,... It all stresses them out, so it's always a doubt whether to threat or not. There are quite some keepers that get demotivated fast because their pygmies keep dying eventhough they tried so hard and did so much research to keep them healthy or they just feel powerless when things start to go wrong.

If you are used to big chameleons you also have to know: They are a look-but-don't-touch kind of chameleon. They are stressed out easily. So they need lots of possible hiding spots, and no frequent handling.

Someone already asked about pro's and con's of pygmies on the 'Chameleon central USA' facebook group. I added my reply there underneath. (Only thought about it when I already typed the above :) )

Schermafbeelding 2016-01-14 om 18.14.43.png

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2016-01-14 om 18.14.43.png
    Schermafbeelding 2016-01-14 om 18.14.43.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 339
My house has central air and stays 70 degrees year round so that won't be a problem. I'd like to do a mostly self sustaining terrarium for them, live plants and all. What about diet though? Will Fruit flys and pin heads do with some occasional small meal worms?

I would order spring tails and isopods.

They will be your vivarium "clean up crew" and will double as an occasional snack.

Crickets and fruit flys can be a staple, I wouldn't feed meal worms because impaction, but that's just me.

I've had my Crested Gecko in a bioactive setup for a couple years now and I love it. I might have to take a look at these guys in a few years once I have more chameleon experience.

For more info about bioactive setups, I would recommend the facebook page 'Reptile and Amphibian Bioactive Setups'. People there have lots of info, and they can answer all the questions you have. There are files posted there with guides how to build up a setup and lots of photos with examples.
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/300589990105820/

Also on the facebook group 'worldwide pygmy chameleon keepers' you can find photos of bioactiv setups specific for pygmy chameleons. Great to get some inspiration.
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/549631031725995/

I would live plant to keep the humidity up.

Back
Top Bottom