Wanting to add on to my cham cage...

rachelk

So I want to add on to my cham cage, its 18 by 18 by 30 high, it is glass on 2 sides and screen on the other 2 sides and screen on top, and i want to extend the top and make it higher, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, i was thinking about using thick wires like the ones that are used on guinea pig cages (anyone know what i mean?) as for the structure and somehow attaching a soft mesh around the wires/structure, but not sure how i would attempt to attach everything to make it sturdy so my veiled doesnt get hurt. any suggestions??

I understand where you're coming from, because I'm always thinking about building, improving etc. However, have you priced the material for your project yet? It might actually cost less to simply buy a bigger enclosure. The other thing to consider is that the guinea pig type wire won't prevent your cham's food from escaping.

i was just going to use that type of wiring as the structure, like use the wiring for the four corners of the cage for support and then put a mesh screen around it? ..and no i have not priced the materials yet, i should probably do that...

As soon as I sent my reply I read about the soft mesh. I still think it's so much easier to order a new all screen enclosure.

i would do that, but i love the cage he is in..that is why i want to just add on to it to make it bigger/taller, its so pretty only bc it does have the 2 sides that are glass..

Pic of his current cage?

Without seeing it I would suggest getting a screen window building kit from Lowes or H.D. they sell the corner pieces, aluminum runs, inseert rubber, and vinyl for sides/aluminum for the top screening. I built the top side and door panels for mine that way. then installed them on my home built oak cage. If your cage is all screen you could screw the panels directly to eachother then attach the top with an aluminum strip that could be screwed to the new and the existing cages.

I think I explained that enough???

Here's a pic of my finished project.

dscf0217_original.jpg

Back
Top Bottom