Want to get another reptile

Can I ask why no Iguana? We had one as kids and it had a fine temperament. They are very protective of their home and family. The only time ours was mean was if a stranger (to the Iguana) came around.

I have been told, and read many times that Iguanas can have bad attitudes. Even ones which appear friendly can have random psycho moments and attack. I have a 2 year old girl, I would like to avoid the possibility of something bad happening because she tries to pet it the wrong way or something. Naturally, I would try to keep her away from it but you know kids.... To me the risk is not worth it at her age. When she gets a little older- definitely yes. Iguanas are very cool.

I kind of want to get a reptile she can interact and play with a little bit. She gets really mad at me because I wont let her touch the chameleon. For the first month and a half I would not let her in that room when feeding him. Now that he is settled in I let her participate more. She is still way to young to handle him of course. She loves reptiles. Every time we go to the pet store, she drags me over to look at the turtles and snakes.

A bearded dragon that is not active is a dragon going down hill. We were looking to get a 2nd reptile last month and went with a dragon. The reptile store said that the colorful little guy that I picked was jsut resting. I believed him and took the little guy home. He lasted only a few days, never ate once. I went back to the reptile store and showed them pictures of my 4 foot long tank. These pics also included the theromometers at each end of the tank showing 78 degrees cool side and 105 degree basking spot. They said everything looks great and that my setup was perfect. I then pulled out the dead dragon that I got the week before and asked them to explain how this guy could have passed so quick if I had a perfect setup? They quickly stated that if he was not active then he should have never left the store. They replaced him with another one that they made sure was eating and active before I left. This new dragon is ALWAYS alert. He seems to know everything that is going on around his tank at all times. As soon as food jumps into the tank he is bouncing all over the tank to chase it, all day every day.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted you to have an idea what to look for if you do get a dragon. I had a very sad learning experience that I would like to help others avoid. Ours is very nice, and very funny. The stuff they do will keep you and your little one laughing. Dragons are gentle and mine reaches to be held any time my hand is in the tank.

I have no experience with snakes so I can't say that either is a better choice. I can only give my experiences with our baby dragon. Getting the baby was the way to go for us. Its fun to watch them grow. They grow faster than out chameleon, and are so much easier to take care of.

2012-05-039515-57-5795447.jpg

I have been told, and read many times that Iguanas can have bad attitudes. Even ones which appear friendly can have random psycho moments and attack. I have a 2 year old girl, I would like to avoid the possibility of something bad happening because she tries to pet it the wrong way or something. Naturally, I would try to keep her away from it but you know kids.... To me the risk is not worth it at her age. When she gets a little older- definitely yes. Iguanas are very cool.

I kind of want to get a reptile she can interact and play with a little bit. She gets really mad at me because I wont let her touch the chameleon. For the first month and a half I would not let her in that room when feeding him. Now that he is settled in I let her participate more. She is still way to young to handle him of course. She loves reptiles. Every time we go to the pet store, she drags me over to look at the turtles and snakes.

I have heard that about iguanas to, ours never had any phyco moments.

I understand your concern about your daughter but both my boys (5 & 7 yrs old) and my step daughters who are 2 yrs old hold and feed shark all the time. They love it and are very good about it.

How about a leopard gecko? They have smoother scales, and more of a "snake-like" appearance than a beardie, and they are quite friendly. Also, no danger of strangulation with a leopard gecko :) I happen to have both, so please don't think I'm bashing beardies, it's just that in this situation it seems like a better fit for your family.

Michelle

I agree with Michelle. I have a Leopard Gecko and she's really sweet and cute. You can see her here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/gizmo-leopard-gecko-74408/

Why not an iguana? my iguana was like a dog, no kidding. gave my kisses and went to the beach with me. total sweetie. snuggle up watch tv. and when you pet him he leaned into it. male. just like most animals a little training can go a long way + iguanas will bond to their owners. people who just get rid of him = sad and lonely iguana :(.

mabey you could look a little more into it. if you want a bestfriend an iguana is amazing, but like a dog or cat need alot of love and attention + they can live 15+ years.

about the crazy iguana moments. i would assume this happens to people who are mean to their iguanas or something. animals dont usually just get mean on people, but who wants to admit they punched it or something? also dont let it getaway with being bad. a bop on the nose is more than enough to show your displeasure and they usually cetch on. my male was the meanist of the litter and turned into the worlds sweetist boy. he would hang his head out the window and like a dog- open his mouth. total doll. ---if you dont spend enough time with them they get lonely and may become mean though

Alright,
I an kind of thinking of either a bearded dragon or a ball python. Both seem to have good temperaments from what I have read. I see that beardies are friendly which is very good (are they difficult? Cant seem to get a consistent answer on this. You may assume I have a few years of experience with reptiles and will make a strong effort to understand and attend to its needs).
... Honestly, I am also a little bothered by feeding a python mice....

Beardies (which should be fairly active) can be very tolerant of interaction. Perhaps also worth considering is that they are not going to get as large/long as a python, and may be less expensive to feed (the snake wouldnt be satisfied forever on just little mice). Is your child likely to interact by watching more than by touching? I suspect your kid will be more able to interact with the beardie - snakes dont do much, and it may grow too big for her to safely be around without supervision (if you keep the snake well fed, it is really unlikely to go for a child, but it could happen - moreover they get to weight more and are about 4 feet long - possibly hard for a kid to carry - then again she'll grow too and really this is for you not her).

Many type of dart Frogs are bold daytime animals that are enjoyable to watch.....the lep geck is a good suggestion too

A bearded dragon that is not active is a dragon going down hill. We were looking to get a 2nd reptile last month and went with a dragon. The reptile store said that the colorful little guy that I picked was jsut resting. I believed him and took the little guy home. He lasted only a few days, never ate once. I went back to the reptile store and showed them pictures of my 4 foot long tank. These pics also included the theromometers at each end of the tank showing 78 degrees cool side and 105 degree basking spot. They said everything looks great and that my setup was perfect. I then pulled out the dead dragon that I got the week before and asked them to explain how this guy could have passed so quick if I had a perfect setup? They quickly stated that if he was not active then he should have never left the store. They replaced him with another one that they made sure was eating and active before I left. This new dragon is ALWAYS alert. He seems to know everything that is going on around his tank at all times. As soon as food jumps into the tank he is bouncing all over the tank to chase it, all day every day.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted you to have an idea what to look for if you do get a dragon. I had a very sad learning experience that I would like to help others avoid. Ours is very nice, and very funny. The stuff they do will keep you and your little one laughing. Dragons are gentle and mine reaches to be held any time my hand is in the tank.

I have no experience with snakes so I can't say that either is a better choice. I can only give my experiences with our baby dragon. Getting the baby was the way to go for us. Its fun to watch them grow. They grow faster than out chameleon, and are so much easier to take care of.

2012-05-039515-57-5795447.jpg

Thanks, I had a feeling that was a bad sign. This guy was in sharp contrast to the dragon I saw at another local pet store (which specializes in reptiles). That guy was borderline hyperactive! We walked in the door and it started scratching on the glass, running around... we were told that bearded dragons are very social and like to interact with people. This lizard just kind of stared off into space....

Leopard geckos are really great reptiles , come in different morphs and take up little space!

Highly recommend them!

I have always wanted a beardie but they just require way to much space .

Leopard geckos are really great reptiles , come in different morphs and take up little space!

Highly recommend them!

I have always wanted a beardie but they just require way to much space .

Space does not bother me so much (frankly I like large reptiles a lot...), I have terrariums all around here. When my friend moved up north to go to college I inherited all of his aquariums, terrariums and servers (weird combo I know).
I am also shying away from keeping some of my highland tropical carnivorous plants in terrariums because it is really hard to control fungal infestations, so at the very least I have a 40ish gallon breeder tank opening up which should accommodate a BD very well given the proper set up- at least for the immediate future. I also have various sized smaller ones as well. Based on their size I would probably start one in a 20 gallon with a screen lid.

I made a point of looking at the geckos today, particularly based on people's comments. I am still just not feeling it. You guys keep mentioning that you feel they are great lizards- what is it about them you like?

I do like the day geckos based on color. I think all geckos have a coolness factor because they can climb on glass. Every time I see them in stores they just seem to kind of lay there. (maybe I have only seen unhealthy geckos?)

Why not an iguana? my iguana was like a dog, no kidding. gave my kisses and went to the beach with me. total sweetie. snuggle up watch tv. and when you pet him he leaned into it. male. just like most animals a little training can go a long way + iguanas will bond to their owners. people who just get rid of him = sad and lonely iguana :(.

mabey you could look a little more into it. if you want a bestfriend an iguana is amazing, but like a dog or cat need alot of love and attention + they can live 15+ years.

about the crazy iguana moments. i would assume this happens to people who are mean to their iguanas or something. animals dont usually just get mean on people, but who wants to admit they punched it or something? also dont let it getaway with being bad. a bop on the nose is more than enough to show your displeasure and they usually cetch on. my male was the meanist of the litter and turned into the worlds sweetist boy. he would hang his head out the window and like a dog- open his mouth. total doll. ---if you dont spend enough time with them they get lonely and may become mean though

Don't think I am not tempted!! I almost came home with a beautiful baby Iguana yesterday! Really nice looking lizard! Seemed very active and healthy. I had to talk myself out of it. (Partially because this was at a different pet store so my gift certificate would not apply...).
I definitely want an Iguana at some point! Certainly would be cheaper than the bearded dragon (in the short run at least, although this pet store only wants $60 for their BDs which I get the impression is a pretty good price). I dont mind lizards with a little attitude personally, I kind of like it. I am just worried about my daughter's safety. I would have to do a little more research. I am really leaning toward a BD, they seem gentle enough to where she could interact with it under appropriate supervision. Iguana could be for down the road when life is less busy and I will have time to properly work with it and tame it. As it stands I have a hard time penciling in the time to try to work on "taming" the chameleon (part of the reason I wanted a chameleon in the first place was because they need/desire less human interaction- that and they are just cool). Its funny, you can tell when I have not taken him out in a while- he gets a little more aggressive. Like he forgets who I am.

So, iguana is not completely outside of my consideration- I am just filing them under extreme caution... I have Melissa Kaplan's book from the last time I tried to have an Iguana- I will check what it says about this when I get home...

Beardies (which should be fairly active) can be very tolerant of interaction. Perhaps also worth considering is that they are not going to get as large/long as a python, and may be less expensive to feed (the snake wouldnt be satisfied forever on just little mice). Is your child likely to interact by watching more than by touching? I suspect your kid will be more able to interact with the beardie - snakes dont do much, and it may grow too big for her to safely be around without supervision (if you keep the snake well fed, it is really unlikely to go for a child, but it could happen - moreover they get to weight more and are about 4 feet long - possibly hard for a kid to carry - then again she'll grow too and really this is for you not her).

Many type of dart Frogs are bold daytime animals that are enjoyable to watch.....the lep geck is a good suggestion too

You are right, the lizard I get will be under my care and will be "my" reptile. Her mother and I have worked very hard to cultivate a love (and respect) of animals in her. She has been exposed to many different animals from day one. We regularly go to the Monterey Bay aquarium, the Santa Barbara zoo, etc... So, ideally, I want something she can interact with and learn from.

Hmmm.... The more and more I have read all your comments on the leopards, the more and more I am fancying the idea. Particularly, given how docile they seem.... I am actually half tempted to get the BD (or snake or iguana, or whatever) for myself, and perhaps get her her own leopard gecko. Especially if they really live as long as Jannb's post suggests. I kind of like the idea of her sort of growing up with a lizard. This would be great education for her. As she grows we can slowly give more and more of the responsibilities for its care to her. She would have a chance to observe and learn from it- develop a sense of how to read reptiles so to speak... Her skills in reptile husbandry could be closely tied to her sense of commitment and responsibility as she matures. She could start off feeding it every night like she does the SW fish.

Sorry this was very long...

I am really liking this idea a lot. I have to think about it some more- it sounds good in writing. Is it likely to work this way?

Ball pythons are great pets and your child is way more likely to be bit by the neiborhood dog than your ball. I had a female as my first snake as a young teen and took her everywhere with me in the summer. Very docile

Thanks, I had a feeling that was a bad sign. This guy was in sharp contrast to the dragon I saw at another local pet store (which specializes in reptiles). That guy was borderline hyperactive! We walked in the door and it started scratching on the glass, running around... we were told that bearded dragons are very social and like to interact with people. This lizard just kind of stared off into space....

Ok, sorry for all of the posts. A lot of the reason for this thread is this is my way of kind of thinking out loud (and getting valuable feedback- it has been very helpful!).

I wanted to give a quick update. First thing when I left the house this morning, I went back in to check on that BD. It definitely appeared more alert today and seemed much more active. It was not like the spazoid BD I saw at the other store but that one was very socialized, it could have just been unusually enthusiastic.

I walked out of there feeling much better about the health of that BD. I took it out and looked at it a bit, it was much more alert. Still not quite as active as I would have hoped to see, I am not ready to call it healthy, but I am also not experienced with BDs. I am much less concerned now that it might croak within days. I'll keep an eye on him (actually, I think it was a her).

Now, the girl working there told me that they actually had a second BD in the back that was removed because it was much smaller and was getting out-competed for food. She offered to let me see it which I of course took advantage of. I think I fell in love with that lizard immediately. Nice orange coloring, much more alert (also felt warmer, I am convinced the first one is a little too cold). It was smaller than the first which I do not mind. I held it for about 20 minutes and think there is a very good chance I am going to be going home with a BD today if I can get a terrarium set up in time. They did tell me they are going on sale in about a week and a half..... I feel kind of weird about buying an animal "on sale".... Then again, money is a tad bit tight right now... There is also something to be said about buying "a pet" (ie a specific animal that is hand picked because it is who it is) rather than buying "a lizard" (IE any old bearded dragon). Knowing my luck if I play cheap-skat someone will grab the one I want!

Both animals are great in my opinion. I do have to say, Bearded Dragon has my vote. Just for the mere fact that you have a 2 year old. I recommend that reptile to every single person with young children. They are handable, hardy, and not crazy high maintenance. Kids absolutely adore them and they can handle a child that's still learning to be easy with their pets. I haven't read any of the other comments, so I'm not sure which way your leaning towards now. I know your kid is two, but maybe take your kid to the store and see which one he/she gravitates toward more.

I know you want a bigger species, but Crested and Leopard geckos are perfect for kids. My first reptiles were Leopard Geckos named Rose and Jack. Haha! I own Crested Gecko's now and they are incredibly easy and adorable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom