Wanna turn my 6' aquarium into a ridiculous plant fest for my baby veiled chameleon

Monkey Toes

I just bout a baby veiled chameleon. I have a 6' aquarium that's standing upright with a screened in front door. I just started with one plant and it's a hibiscus. I also have a mister for water and UVB light. I want to add plants to all three sides of the glass. I I have a plan. I wanna structure it like trays that you pull out from the bee hives. Modular, or sectional. Anyway, I want to make a jungle world that would make Tarzan high-five me . I'd love to have flowering plants and non flowering. Different colors too. I don't want but maybe one big plant like a hibiscus though. I want the rest to be as small as possible so I can have more of a plant wonderland or plant emporium. I want Tim Burton to be proud of me. I want to make a badass Jurassic Park Island for my chameleon. It would look cool for me too. Glass, plants and lights together look sharp.

I would also like for Teebow, the name of my chameleon, to be able to make the hike and crawl down to the bottom to slurp up whatever ecosystem of bugs that are down there on the floor. To have Teebow's food supply in there with him? How cool would that be? What can I do with the flooring to make it bug and chameleon friendly. I was thinking actual dirt of some kind. I'd dust the buggers and keep them down to a minimum in number and keep the floor picked as clean as possible minus OCD. I think he'd like to "feel" the hunt more than just me platter serving him.

I'd like for this to be highly self sufficient habitat. I'd like to keep a few gallons of water outside of the tank to serve as functional reserves for when I'm gone for a week or so (I can have someone sit him in my absence). I'm hoping it will also help the plants.

Drip irrigation... Is it worth it? How do I do that? Is there a better alternative? I'd like moss too if that's possible.

I'm sure I can read all about this and function thru it by trial and error but I'd like to save the time and expense. Who out there has already done something like this? I'd like to hire you to come over and set up the structure for me. Or maybe just consult. But being a newb, please use crayons.

Below is a photo of an example from FB. I know I can't have that kind of depth, but this is pretty impressive.

Thank you all in advance.

cheers :)

To be honestly didn’t read everything after you said aquarium this is not a suitable home for a chameleon. You need a all screen cage for proper ventilation.

The front of the aquarium is screen, I've been assured by the store where I got him from that this was suitable.

The light is shinning through the screen. So back to what you were saying... you're saying that what the store told me was wrong? That the 6's screen door isn't enough ventilation?

You're being rude. I'm not sure why you can't understand what I typed. The light is shinning thru the screen. No glass. No light shinning thru no glass.

Now, rather than be positive and helping, you're being negative and adding to part of what's wrong with the world. Don't be that negative person.

You're being rude. I'm not sure why you can't understand what I typed. The light is shinning thru the screen. No glass. No light shinning thru no glass.

Now, rather than be positive and helping, you're being negative and adding to part of what's wrong with the world. Don't be that negative person.
You said you have an aquarium that’s upright. When I think of an aquarium I think all glass sides and a screen top. Now it being upright that means the top would be glass correct?

I’m pointing out you mistakes, again this isn’t proper idk why you can’t see that. If your shinning the light in front of the cage that’s not proper again. So don’t be that person who can’t take constructive criticism. We are telling you it’s incorrect and if you actually did your research then you would no that

I am a work in progress and learning. But who's we? You have been elected by the community to be leader? I'm here asking for help to make a good habitat for my chameleon. Pretty simple. I want guidance. But then there's you. A troll. Don't be a troll. You can change. There's still time. Unless you're a narcissist. You are laying down neuro-pathways of negativity. Maybe because you weren't held enough as a baby, maybe you came from a bad family, maybe you don't have any real friends, maybe no one ever taught you compassion. Maybe you go to bed mad and wake up mad. Maybe you're empty inside, angry at the world and taking it out on whom ever you can cause you can't stand yourself. Whatever the case, you should seriously seek some solace in meditation. I will not communicate with you anymore.

Hello, Your chameleon's light must shine from the top, just like the sun, definitely not from the side, so it's absolutely imperative that the top be screen. I've read multiple places that lights situated to shine in from the side can damage chameleon eyes. So basking and UVB linear lighting must be on top of enclosure.

Yes, I got that from the last post, but thank you for being chill. I am making adjustments in about 30-min to remedy this.

I am a work in progress and learning. But who's we? You have been elected by the community to be leader? I'm here asking for help to make a good habitat for my chameleon. Pretty simple. I want guidance. But then there's you. A troll. Don't be a troll. You can change. There's still time. Unless you're a narcissist. You are laying down neuro-pathways of negativity. Maybe because you weren't held enough as a baby, maybe you came from a bad family, maybe you don't have any real friends, maybe no one ever taught you compassion. Maybe you go to bed mad and wake up mad. Maybe you're empty inside, angry at the world and taking it out on whom ever you can cause you can't stand yourself. Whatever the case, you should seriously seek some solace in meditation. I will not communicate with you anymore.
Let’s see who wants to help you with your amazing attitude. Good luck to your chameleon

Yikes! You are complaining that they are being rude to you so then you post something like this that is a complete personal attack? You most definitely will NOT get any help on here with that attitude!

Here’s my thoughts

Your going to want a cage thats preferably all screened or partially screened on the sides with a SCREEN top. This is so your lighting can penetrate through the cage. Your UVB lighting will not penetrate through glass. This lighting can’t be put on the sides of the enclosure. Only shone from the top down is the way the lighting should be.

The lighting should be a T5HO or T8 light fixture with a 5.0 or 10.0 reptisun linear bulb or a 6% or 12% arcadia linear bulb. The bulb strengths depend on your fixture size and enclosure size. Your also going to want a dome light fixture with an incandescent light bulb for heat. Wattage of the bulb depends on how hot or cold your house is. These all need to be shining from the top down through a SCREEN TOP.

We are here to help you but you must be able to listen to our help. There is a lot of experienced keepers on here that would be glad to give you advice if your willing to take constructive criticism. I’m going to give you a form to fill out this can help other members see what you need or can fix. It sounds like you are pretty new to keeping a chameleon and these guys need everything to be perfect or they will not thrive.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

I want to just say that you should have ventilation on at least 2 sides Of the cage for maximized air flow. Please fill out the form because it will help us get an idea of what you currently have for your little guy and what you could improve on!

Wow you may wanna calm down with the attitude. People just won't help you if they feel you are going to be rude when they are trying to tell you that what you are doing will not work.... at all....

Lighting must come from the top not the front not the side.. The top. UVB does not penetrate glass... So your going to be blasting light through the front... Your not going to have airflow because there is no chimney effect without the top being screen as well. But you getting an attitude like I said is going to make the regulars that help out most often decide not to waste their time trying.

So NO your tank will not work for a chameleon. You can use a tank for a leopard gecko but not a chameleon. There is no way to make adjustments when you have an aquarium for an enclosure.....

There is no reason to attack people that are simply pointing out what is wrong with your cage. Chameleons are very complicated animals to care for and everyone on this site has lots of experience with them. No one was being rude to you, just direct. If you sit back and just listen you can learn a lot from all the amazing people on this site.

Back
Top Bottom