walls... treated lumber or ????

little leaf

Avid Member
I am looking at the wall of my next yrs project - the huge 40' X 30' free range- the walls are treated lumber plywood- the wood is older, but still very good - my ? is, should I paint these ? and if so, with what - I do not want them ON the walls, or at least on the top foot of them, as I do not want them to be able to access the netting that will be the top - is this wood even safe for them to be around? my gut feeling is NO- or am I being worried for nothing - they will not drink off of the walls ( unless it rains and they do :confused: )
this is going to be a huge job to make - but if I can not use this wood- (and I wont if it is not safe) then the project ends here - :( I want this to be a safe, healthy place for them to spend the summer -
any input would be MUCH appreciated
Thanks guys :)

your not suppose to paint treated wood for a year, but if its that old you should be alright. If I were u I would get a really good exterior self priming latex paint. Latex is safe, also I would get gloss easier cleanup and more slippery.

Min 3 coats of latex paint should seal the plywood and make it drinkable and easy to wash.

Ya kinda need to know what "treated" it is. pressure treated, chemical treated, not treated but marine grade, not marine but exterior grade, fire retardant, ASQ pressure treated plywood vs kiln dried pressure treated. If its chemical treated/retardant/ASQ then yes you will need several layers of latex to protect the cham from the chemicals responsible to prevent mold/rot. Its nasty stuff that can never be removed but also doesnt come off with rain.

Min 3 coats of latex paint should seal the plywood and make it drinkable and easy to wash.

Ya kinda need to know what "treated" it is. pressure treated, chemical treated, not treated but marine grade, not marine but exterior grade, fire retardant, ASQ pressure treated plywood vs kiln dried pressure treated. If its chemical treated/retardant/ASQ then yes you will need several layers of latex to protect the cham from the chemicals responsible to prevent mold/rot. Its nasty stuff that can never be removed but also doesnt come off with rain.

I believe its pressure treated - it came with the pool ( the pool is about 10 yrs old or better - we moved it about 5 yrs ago to here- ) its 3/4 " - because it was the wall, it has always had a foam and then the pool lining over it - so it sitll looks new, even tho it is at least 10 yrs old I am sure -

Combination primer/sealer then paint. As long as it is old pressure treated that has dried fully, you should fine. Won't work on the new wet stuff.

Combination primer/sealer then paint. As long as it is old pressure treated that has dried fully, you should fine. Won't work on the new wet stuff.

yes, its old - I was going to start watching for those bamboo mats that you use on the beach - and put those on the wall, but then I was re-thinking that - I dont want anyone to get behind it - and get stuck - I want it to look nice, but mostly, I want it to be safe :rolleyes: I have sooooo many ideas :D

Back
Top Bottom