Vivarium with Custom Background and Waterfall

Looks awesome!! What are those vines and how do you get the moss on the right side to grow like that?!

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Looks awesome!! What are those vines and how do you get the moss on the right side to grow like that?!
Are you talking about the vine-like plant in the back right corner? That's just a pilea, not sure of the specific species though. And that's just fresh live sphagnum moss. Maintains its nice greens in a humid environment!

Very nice! How long did that take you to complete?
Total time, I would say slightly less then 8 hours. Takes a lot of patience but the outcome is rewarding!

Dang! Eight hours, thats quite awhile. My Pygmy Viv took my about 4 hours and was also rewarding but I didnt have a background and all that.

Dang! Eight hours, thats quite awhile. My Pygmy Viv took my about 4 hours and was also rewarding but I didnt have a background and all that.
I had a lot of time on my hands over that past week or so and really wanted to try this project out. The background was fairly straight forward, with minor patch jobs. It really didn't take me as long as I had expected. The egg-crate false bottom was fairly time consuming though, and a huge pain in my butt. Came out with so many cuts because of how sharp it is after you cut it to size.

That is so awesome. I can never get moss to grow, and my pilea vine didn't make it either. Maybe one day I will figure it out. Your tank is quite impressive,

That is so awesome. I can never get moss to grow, and my pilea vine didn't make it either. Maybe one day I will figure it out. Your tank is quite impressive,
Thanks so much!
The trick is to buy moss that is already alive, and then just keep it moist and under the right conditions ;) Also pilea's LOVE being misted and having stuff to climb. They are just like pothos, they can root onto rough surfaces with their 'stems'. In one of my other PDF tanks I have the same type of pilea and it has completely overrun the tank. I don't mind though because it looks bloody brilliant. It climbed all the way up my hanging stump and has plastered itself up to the plexi-glass top where the light is.

Awesome setup!

What kind of bromeliad is that on the left side? It doesn't look huge like some get. How wide and tall will it get?

Thanks Seiryu!
The brom on the left is a fireball. It is already at max size, 4x5". The one on the left that is elevated is a Neoregelia ampullacea 'San Diego WBC 94'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom