Vitamins

hello everyone, quick question. For a baby Cham, what vitamins would I have to give him daily besides his daily calcium (without d3, will use with D3 twice a month) would a multivitamin be ok? Or should I give him some fruits or vegetables instead. Thanks!

First, what species do you have? Your baby may not touch fruit or veggies at first. Hard to predict. A herp multivitamin is good; use it twice a month. However, what is more important is to gut load your feeder insects well. THEY should get a well designed diet. You are what you eat. Most of the pet store brand gutloads are not much good and no where near as fresh as small batch types. Check this forum sponsors for much better ones. Supplement dusts are best considered "gap fillers" to prevent possible deficiencies, not the main primary source of nutrition.

I’m going to be getting a veiled. I’m also going to order feeders online and gut load with cricket crack and regular fruits and vegetables.. I’m not to keen on what fruits the baby Cham would eat.

Veiled will try to eat anything that looks remotely close to a leaf.... Mine once tried to eat a flower that is tattooed on my arm o_O

As for good gutloads check out this excerpt from an article on nutrition found in the resource section here on the forums: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

"Suggested Ingredients

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

These fresh fruits and vegetables can be combined with dry gutload mixes or home made mixes for optimal well-rounded nutrition. Dry ingredients can include: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds.

Avoid These Ingredients

Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates."

Many of the leafy greens such as kale, dandelion greens, and escarole can be placed throughout the cage for your veiled to snack on.

Back
Top Bottom