vitamin A deficiency? Male vield closing right eye

jhoover

I believe my Vield Cham, Age 4months is suffering from a vitamin A deficiency, is it true that chams can not produce vitamin A from the beta carotene? He continuously closes his right eye with no swelling or being sunken in. He is in a 45x45x49 screen cage, using feeder crickets, and meal worms rite now, dusting with repti cal every feeding and herptivite twice a week. I mist 4 times daily for aprox 3 min, along with a drip system. He has the duel dome light fixture with a zoo med 60w blue daylight bulb and reptisun 5.0 UVB. Django means the world to me as i waited years for him to come into my life and i love him to death. Money is not an object i just want to do everything i can for him. Please help. I am very concerned

Attachments

• 20160925_182957.jpg
    20160925_182957.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20160925_140637.jpg
    20160925_140637.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 20160925_140651.jpg
    20160925_140651.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 109
Awe, Django is cute! Were you able to figure out what was wrong with him? My Cham has been doing the exact same thing. Wondered if you found the problem or what caused it? Thanks! :)

The research suggests chameleons are not capable of converting Beta Carotene to Vitamin A.
can I see some links for that? I have read the opposite as well. Seems like there is lots of discussion on this. Like is it healthy to skip the precursor(beta-carotene) or it is healthy to just give the vitamin A.

i dont think Vit A the problem, but i know your uvb source are the worst (i already test reptisun 5.0 vith solarmeter and after 4 inch of distance you have no uvb at all (or low low low.. loooooooowwwww uvb:p)..

Any recent shedding? maybe it can be the cause? any other sign ? (how the tongue work? nice or weak? the grip?

i think some cameleon can convert vitamin A if you give vit A oil be caution.. it can be toxic and vit A balanced with vit D3 i think so you can provoque one imbalance

do you give any extra vitamin to your chameleon?

@Mawtyplant Not sure about the shedding...he might have something in his eye which i have squirted eye wash and misting him a bunch in hopes that whatever is in his eye gets out. Only supplement i am using for chameleon is Repashy calcium plus LoD on the back it says there is vitamin a min. 80,000 IU/lb (https://www.lllreptile.com/products/31052-repashy-calcium-plus-lod-176oz ) Interesting you say tongue because ive been giving him crickets in a cup and put it close to him to get to and he has missed a couple of times. Like almost his tongue is not sticky enough... i am very concerned since he is not getting better at this point :( any suggestions?

@Mawtyplant Not sure about the shedding...he might have something in his eye which i have squirted eye wash and misting him a bunch in hopes that whatever is in his eye gets out. Only supplement i am using for chameleon is Repashy calcium plus LoD on the back it says there is vitamin a min. 80,000 IU/lb (https://www.lllreptile.com/products/31052-repashy-calcium-plus-lod-176oz ) Interesting you say tongue because ive been giving him crickets in a cup and put it close to him to get to and he has missed a couple of times. Like almost his tongue is not sticky enough... i am very concerned since he is not getting better at this point :( any suggestions?

Yep, go buy a good uvb source (like a t5ho reptisun or minimum exo-terra uvb 150 (not ideal.. but better than the reptisun 5.0 so keep in mind its temporary) If its possible for you to bring him outside for real sunray it could help.. sunray is the best of course!) Give lot of water, good calcium without phosphorus and be patient ;) how the poop look like?

Yep, go buy a good uvb source (like a t5ho reptisun or minimum exo-terra uvb 150 (not ideal.. but better than the reptisun 5.0 so keep in mind its temporary) If its possible for you to bring him outside for real sunray it could help.. sunray is the best of course!) Give lot of water, good calcium without phosphorus and be patient ;) how the poop look like?

His poop looks white to me. What is interesting he seems more active outside of his cage , as soon as he goes inside. He just lays in his basking area... this normal?!? :O

@Mawtyplant I think we are discussing about two different chameleons here LOL :ROFLMAO:. I happen to be concerned with mine as well. Here is a picture of him outside. Is this normal coloration and behavior?

Attachments

• IMG_7587.JPG
    IMG_7587.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 101
For sure!! I have a 18" 24" 36" screen mesh cage, I will include a photo of his husbandry so can see if something needs to be changed or not. If you see in the photo, he loves to be in basking area (normal?)
The basking temp is anywhere from 80 to 90 degrees. The humidity seems to change since its screen but i put towel on side, will be adding a shower curtain to retain the humidity better.
Humidity is anywhere from 30 to 60% and 30 is the lowest it has gotten.
Check out the photo it explains everything ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7684.JPG
    IMG_7684.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom