Vitamin A Deficiency - Andrew's Diary

pantherlover...excess vitamin D causes mineralization of organs such as the kidney. With too much prEformed vitamin A the liver can become swollen and the kidneys damaged. While both the d3 and the vitamin A are be at toxic levels, the effects are not as evident due to their interaction according to Dr. Lopez. (see chameleonjournals articles.) I don't think water can flush these out of the kidney since they are both fat soluble...I'm not a vet...its just my opinion.

excellent food for thought. Im obviously still learning about all of this. the real question is, how much is toxic? what is excess vitamin d? can a specific amount define how much is too much? Ive read about cases where people have used too much d3 & its less than what Im offering. Other established breeders say its very hard to overdo the d3.(maybe this is only when preformed a is being offered?) So what Dr lopez is saying is that if the levels of both preformed a & d3 are at toxic levels, it would remain unknown due to their interaction? The symptoms would show in the long run? Or, the right amount of both is not toxic, even though the same amount of one with the absence of the other would be toxic? Doesnt really seem like there are any defined lines when there are so many cham keeping successes reached in so many different ways. I could only assume that in Maddy, the strength of the sun outdoes whatever we offer to our indoor pets up here, whether they are hanging below the canopy or not. I would have to assume that a wild panther would have to be running high on preformed a to combat large amounts of d3. Either that or they must be spending the majority of their lives looking for shade. ive never been there to take uvb readings but I would venture a guess that the uvb bouncing off a shiny leaf would be stronger than the 5.0 we keep over our pets. I know that when the odd time I starve out my chams, the next week they are spending a large amount of time streched out, as close to the uvb light as they can get. My first thought is that they must be regulating the absence of the week befores supps.

JoJackson, I couldnt agree with you more. If I lived in FL, I would own outdoor chams & my whole yard would be one giant cage. My views on dusting would be totally different. I dont really think the wild caught bugs up here offer enough pros to out do the cons(parasites) to be worth while. Our keeping chams up here has absoutely nothing to do with evolution.Up here, we absoutly need to supp d3, how much d3 is debatable.

Back
Top Bottom