Vines

I use exoterra jungle vines. They work well enough and can be bent/twisted into good positions. Though, if you are looking for the naturalistic-looking vines with the moss on them, the vines actually have many little wires running through them and sometimes the wires can poke out and become a hazard for your chameleon. I think someone on this forum actually had one of those vines poke their cham pretty bad. But if you check the vine for poking wires before putting it in the cage, you should be fine.

But if you don't want to worry about dangerous vines, the exo terra jungles vines work perfectly fine. I would probably rub the outside of the vines to get all the loose particles off before putting it in the cage. That way your cham doesn't accidentally ingest plastic.

If you want vines, I would go the exoterra route. Oh yeah, beware of vines that are made with foam. They can easily get shredded apart and be ingested.

Vines are fine, but in my opinion, there is nothing better than normal branches from the outdoors and good plants that are sturdy enough to climb on.

Ah yes, after reading gingero's post, I'd prob just stay away from mossy vines altogether. I have a jackson's cham, which is notorious for not eating salads. Since you have a veiled, I would stay away from anything that could be turned into food. Treat them like a newborn child where anything small enough to fit in their mouth's becomes fair game.

Exo Terra vines if I’m not mistaken are the black ones that will shed tiny particles. If your cham runs it’s face against it when shedding, as they tend to do, the particles can end up lodged in an eye. I use Fluker’s vines with no issues.
You’re not mistaken

Exo Terra vines if I’m not mistaken are the black ones that will shed tiny particles. If your cham runs it’s face against it when shedding, as they tend to do, the particles can end up lodged in an eye. I use Fluker’s vines with no issues.
Omg I never thought of that happening, guess I'm taking that out of the enclosure.

Aren’t the Flukers ones made of styrofoam? I heard those get soggy after they get wet so many times, is that true?

I use exoterra jungle vines. They work well enough and can be bent/twisted into good positions. Though, if you are looking for the naturalistic-looking vines with the moss on them, the vines actually have many little wires running through them and sometimes the wires can poke out and become a hazard for your chameleon. I think someone on this forum actually had one of those vines poke their cham pretty bad. But if you check the vine for poking wires before putting it in the cage, you should be fine.

But if you don't want to worry about dangerous vines, the exo terra jungles vines work perfectly fine. I would probably rub the outside of the vines to get all the loose particles off before putting it in the cage. That way your cham doesn't accidentally ingest plastic.

If you want vines, I would go the exoterra route. Oh yeah, beware of vines that are made with foam. They can easily get shredded apart and be ingested.

Vines are fine, but in my opinion, there is nothing better than normal branches from the outdoors and good plants that are sturdy enough to climb on.

Thanks! I’m having a tough time right now in the middle of winter finding new plants that are viney enough for my new enclosure, so that’s why I’m looking for a vine. I have seen the exoterra jungle vines in petco and was wondering if they were good or not, thanks for the feedback. My veiled eats a lot of leaves but I’ve never had a problem with her eating vines or branches, so i think it’d be fine.

Just when u think they wont they do ( say when they are zapping a fly they also can take what the fly is on ....loose piece of.......to be safe beware of anything that will get stuck in their intestine I learned the hard way 😭thats why I am here helping others.

Aren’t the Flukers ones made of styrofoam? I heard those get soggy after they get wet so many times, is that true?
They are foam, but they are quite sturdy and I’ve had no problem with them. Once you zip tie them tightly to something though, if you undo it, the foam does tend to stick and a small piece may come off. Still usable though. I also have this one vine that almost seems to be made of twisted coated paper...it’s weird but no problems with it. I only use one vine per enclosure...all the rest are natural branches or pothos vines.

Thanks! I’m having a tough time right now in the middle of winter finding new plants that are viney enough for my new enclosure, so that’s why I’m looking for a vine.
Same problem. I've got both Epipremnum aureum & Tradescantia pallida climbing a trellis and meandering around the enclosure. Both are relatively fast-growing.
Others include Ficus pumila, Cissus sp., Hoya sp.
While technically not a vine, my
Schefflera arboricola is also fast-growing, and the little guy uses it like a vine.

You can find more in the archives, or fast growing vines chameleon safe

I've seen a method of making naturalistic vines by taking a length of natural fiber roap, slathering it with silicone and then rolling it in coconut fiber. I believe the end result is not only very natural looking vines, bu also very flexible so you can easily wrap around real branches.

Anyone have pros/cons thoughts on this method?

I've seen a method of making naturalistic vines by taking a length of natural fiber roap, slathering it with silicone and then rolling it in coconut fiber. I believe the end result is not only very natural looking vines, bu also very flexible so you can easily wrap around real branches.

I love this idea and might steal it to try 😅

I’d suggest wrapping the rope in a “coat hanger type” wire before the silicone and fiber... still flexible, but bendable and will hold its shape.

Pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos pothos

🤘
...and Wandering Jew. :) Both of mine (EDIT: I have one of each) have grown 2' in as many weeks—and (IDK the correct term) multiple vines from each plant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom