Vieled Cham Sick,,, Maybe Egg Bound?

redrider69

Hi, this is my first post, and this forum looks very helpfull!

Anyway, I have a Veiled Cham, Shes about a year old now and she is a female. Ive had her for about 9 Months, and she has done extremely well, and is quite friendly. She was doing great on Saturday, and Had been eating well. Sunday, she was fine, as well as monday. On tuesday, I was going about feeding her, and when I went to look at her, I noticed she was sitting on the branch very weird, she was laying on it, but with her butt and legs off to the side, just hanging there.

I got her out of the cage, and she acted very unaware of what was going on. When i flipped her over, to look at her belly, I noticed that there was a clear gel like substance coming from, and around her butt.

I held her for a little, and she had acted ok, but when I set her down to walk, she would drag her behind, and not use her rear legs, she would move them, but they wouldnt touch the ground. So i put her back into her house, and she climbed up the side of her cage, with out using her rear legs...

So here are her symptoms,

Wont Eat, Had to force feed her today, she did chew and swallow though
Clear Gel coming from her butt
Dosnt lay on her butt, and just hangs rear end off to the side
Move Rear Legs, but she can touch the ground with them

That about it, she seems healthy, and she is very responsive, but those are her symptoms.

I was thinking that she maybe is egg bound??? And maybe she had an egg in her, and thats why she cant get her legs to touch down?

Any help is greatly appreciated, maybe I am wrong, but does anyone know what this could be, and what I can do to keep her healthy?

Thanks alot

Do you have a place for her to lay eggs? Bucket of sand, anything that she can dig in? It certainly is possible she is egg bound. Is she round, fat looking? Can you post a pic? Do you have a vet you can take her too?
Also-answering questions about your husbandry can help people here diagnose problems...

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Last edited:
Your cham definitely needs to see a vet as soon as possible. I know that this isn't great advice but there are several reasons that a chameleon will have weakness in the rear legs and without seeing the animal, it is hard to determine exactly what the problem is with her. Usually when something gets so bad that the chameleon is showing visible signs of sickness, then the problem has become very bad and you must act fast to save her life.

Good luck.

Definitely agree with a Vet visit. Egg bound, calcium deficiency and even impaction can be causes for the behavior you are seeing.

Hopefully she will be ok.

Ivan

Back
Top Bottom