vg

Vytas

Hi there, I'm new on this site, and want to ask is it normal what my chamelion some time breathing open mouth? And why?

Attachments

• IMAG0350.jpg
    IMAG0350.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 128
My guy does it all the time. He goes outside 24/7 for June and August.
When he gets hot he opens his mouth for periods. But he does not move down to a cooler
part of the cage. I think he was trying to get as much sun as he can,

It depends on why your chameleon is breathing with its mouth open.
They do it when they are too hot where they are sitting. If you lower the basking temperature or move them out of the area and they shut it and don't open it again that could be the reason.
They do it if they have a RI and then it's usually accompanied by wheezing and stringy saliva.
They don't after they've been drinking water sometimes and once in a while when they eat something that was harder to swallow. The nose will be raised in the air in this case.
They do it when they are sick and/or dying and again the nose will be raised in the air. They are trying to get more air I think when they do it for this reason.
They open their mouths (gape) when they are trying to warn off another chameleon and even when they are upset with their owners.
This is why we always have to ask for information in order to figure it out.

Some lizards "pant" when they are hot since they don't sweat. The warmer molecules of saliva evaporates faster than the cooler ones, causing cooling. So I'm guessing it's hot.

Back
Top Bottom