VF - Valley Fever

StormBlaze

I can not find anything that says otherwise , but I can't find anything specific
on the Net either so here goes my concern ..My dobie MAY have contracted Valley Fever and I'm currently waiting on the lab results and she is being treated currently as a precaution as best we can until we are sure then we can get more aggressive therapy going ..Question is , there been any research or experience with reptiles ( chams & dragons ) , if she does have it , Can my Cham & Dragon pick it up from my hands from handling her ?..when I have to clean their cages , feed , etc ?? Or can they only be ' carriers ' w/o actually getting sick ?

Thanks

From what I just read on line, its only acquired from inhaling the particles so you can't catch it or transfer it to another person/animal.

What signs are being shown? By Dobie..do you mean doberman??

From what I just read on line, its only acquired from inhaling the particles so you can't catch it or transfer it to another person/animal.

What signs are being shown? By Dobie..do you mean doberman??
hi -
Yes I mean doberman , she is 4 yrs . Her symptoms could point to VF ; but personally I beleive its pneumonia and the vet is using it to squeeze a few extra bucks out of me for
the $$ but I agreed to it b/c I'd rather test and know for sure , rather than have something really bad happen to her , so we'll see in another 2-3 days when the labs return & then I will know for sure . But I was also worried for my reptiles IF she does test positive for FV how that might affect them.

Coccidiomycosis (valley fever) is a fungus that lives in the soil as protective spores that can be inhaled by animals. Once inside an animal the spores germinate and become an active fugus. The lungs are a favorable environment for the fungus so it proliferates quickly and extensively. Arizona is a prime endemic zone for coccidiomycosis. If your dog does have coccidiomycosis than your vet is wise to test for it because it can progress quickly to severe disease causing death. Hopefully you will have caught it early if that is the case and will be able to treat it successfully.

It will not affect you or your reptiles because your dog is not shedding spores, which have to be inhaled to contract the disease. So your other animals are not at risk.

Last edited:
Coccidiomycosis (valley fever) is a fungus that lives in the soil as protective spores that can be inhaled by animals. Once inside an animal the spores germinate and become an active fugus. The lungs are a favorable environment for the fungus so it proliferates quickly and extensively. Arizona is a prime endemic zone for coccidiomycosis. If your dog does have coccidiomycosis than your vet is wise to test for it because it can progress quickly to severe disease causing death. Hopefully you will have caught it early if that is the case and will be able to treat it successfully.

It will not affect you or your reptiles because your dog is not shedding spores, which have to be inhaled to contract the disease. So your other animals are not at risk.

ok thank you very much - its been a really long wk and I feel so much better now :)

Back
Top Bottom