Vet Visits in time of CO-VID

ebclark

Hello! Unfortunately my little guy, Percy, has to go to the vet tomorrow. This is his first ever vet visit. I won't be allowed in and they will take him from me in the parking lot. I was just wondering if anyone has had to make a vet visit during this time and has any suggestions, as I'm a little worried I won't be able to be there to watch how the vet is with him and answer questions while he's being examined.

I will bring with me crickets (so they can look in his mouth), a photo of his enclosure, and all of his care info.

Also, I have never transported him as an adult and was wondering what is the best method. I've heard of the hamper with a stick in it, but do they like to be able to see out or should it be dark while he's in the car?

They also told me to put a source of heat in with him, I was planning just to heat a bag of uncooked rice in a cloth towel (like you would put on your head for headaches) and put it in the bottom. Does anyone have a better idea?

Any suggestions at all are welcome! Thank you everyone :)

I have never heard of heating them in transport except during winter... As long as temps are above 60 he should be just fine without additional heat. Then there is the opposite extreme. If your temps are over 80 they can get too hot. So air conditioning on in the car is a good idea.

I transport in a box. I push a stick through from one side to the other and lay a small towel below it. then I close up the box. Beman falls asleep and this seems to be the least stressful way of taking him to the vet.

As far as not going in... Maybe ask to be on the phone with them. That is what my vet is currently doing. If they are a reptile vet then they should know how to handle him and work with him.

I have never heard of heating them in transport except during winter... As long as temps are above 60 he should be just fine without additional heat. Then there is the opposite extreme. If your temps are over 80 they can get too hot. So air conditioning on in the car is a good idea.

I transport in a box. I push a stick through from one side to the other and lay a small towel below it. then I close up the box. Beman falls asleep and this seems to be the least stressful way of taking him to the vet.

As far as not going in... Maybe ask to be on the phone with them. That is what my vet is currently doing. If they are a reptile vet then they should know how to handle him and work with him.
Thank you! I was figuring someone would say that about the heat - the receptionist told me this, I think when she heard it was a reptile of any sort.

Great ideas, thank you!

Also, what size box do you use? I don't think he'll be crawling around, so is one about 18" x 9" x 9" okay? (he's a full grown male veiled)

Also, what size box do you use? I don't think he'll be crawling around, so is one about 18" x 9" x 9" okay? (he's a full grown male veiled)
If the 18 inches is the height that is similar to what I use for Beman. You want it high and the branch about 3-4 inches off the bottom. That way he can not try to get out as easily when you go to put him in and close the box.

I've done vet visit drop offs for my cats and it's been super convenient. The vet follows up by phone call or even sometimes text later. I find the texting great because all instructions are written and you have time to think of follow up questions. You can call back and ask what they're able/willing to do on that front or make a request. Everyone's learning how to adapt and adjust and they might appreciate your feedback and try to accommodate any requests you have.

My recent (and first) vet visit with my chameleon was indoors (they didn't have drop off service) and while everyone was wearing masks we weren't distanced and I was in a small room for about an hour with a couple people. It became hard to focus and listen after a while since that was making me nervous.

I hope the vet is able to help Percy and that all goes well for you tomorrow! I did the cardboard box thing as Beman suggested above and it was all good.

For a heat source, i always used a rubber glove filled with hot water. It takes a looooong time to cool down, just have to secure it so its not rolling around with the lizard :p

But as others said, roll down window, fill out form, hand them the shoe box with name addy and name of cham on it(even species if you want). I have a "small animal" box i use instead of a shoe box. The whole lid comes open for easy access for birds,bunnies etc.

I've done vet visit drop offs for my cats and it's been super convenient. The vet follows up by phone call or even sometimes text later. I find the texting great because all instructions are written and you have time to think of follow up questions. You can call back and ask what they're able/willing to do on that front or make a request. Everyone's learning how to adapt and adjust and they might appreciate your feedback and try to accommodate any requests you have.

My recent (and first) vet visit with my chameleon was indoors (they didn't have drop off service) and while everyone was wearing masks we weren't distanced and I was in a small room for about an hour with a couple people. It became hard to focus and listen after a while since that was making me nervous.

I hope the vet is able to help Percy and that all goes well for you tomorrow! I did the cardboard box thing as Beman suggested above and it was all good.
Thank you for your advice and good wishes! It sounds like you have a great vet, I hope that I'll have that kind of service :)

I am glad that they are taking the precautions necessary because those exam rooms can be tiny, and I agree, I think that would make me too nervous to focus on what they're saying.

I've already made my box with a branch, now I'm just hoping he likes to travel as much as I do ?

I’ve had to take a leopard gecko a couple of times. I typed/printed out my husbandry as well as my concerns and questions and sent it in with the gecko. It greatly reduced the need for the vet to ask various questions when the vet called me with her findings.

I just had to go to the vet for the first time since all the Covid restrictions. It was very difficult to let our cat Rascal out of our sight considering our fears about what was possible. After a few moments, we were asked to come inside. We were all wearing masks, at least until we started crying and holding our boy, and of course giving tons of kisses. He was on oxygen and the tech would not let us go far from that with him. It was awkward.

All in all we were satisfied with the experience, but I will be honest, I was not happy they took him in without us. That was hard on us, and I'm sure him as well.

Just prepare yourself for that part.

I just had to go to the vet for the first time since all the Covid restrictions. It was very difficult to let our cat Rascal out of our sight considering our fears about what was possible. After a few moments, we were asked to come inside. We were all wearing masks, at least until we started crying and holding our boy, and of course giving tons of kisses. He was on oxygen and the tech would not let us go far from that with him. It was awkward.

All in all we were satisfied with the experience, but I will be honest, I was not happy they took him in without us. That was hard on us, and I'm sure him as well.

Just prepare yourself for that part.
So sorry it was such a bad experience for you and your family.

I could never get my guys in a box. They just panic too much trying to get them in. I bought butterfly screen cages on amazon for around $12, and they’re much better all around. I put two sticks in there like an X and secured the middle. I put a cover over them to reduce stress and encourage them to stay still.

Make sure your container cant shift around in the car.

I wouldnt worry about crickets - they will hold the cham behind the head to get it to open its mouth wide.

Maybe they can facetime you? I brought my guys in during covid - couldnt go in, but I had a long convo with the vet ahead of time and was very clear on what he would possibly be doing.

Having dumb thoughts in the morning.... Since they are not birds/dogs/cats, i wonder what the odds of a mixup, and you get the wrong veiled back... I mean are you really going to check? "yea milo now bites and doesnt eat dubia after he came home from the vet, But they did a REAL good job on the scar on his side"

Having dumb thoughts in the morning.... Since they are not birds/dogs/cats, i wonder what the odds of a mixup, and you get the wrong veiled back... I mean are you really going to check? "yea milo now bites and doesnt eat dubia after he came home from the vet, But they did a REAL good job on the scar on his side"

I think the odds of two veileds (or even 2 chams) being at the vets for a checkup at the same time is unlikely! But I can pick my guys up out of a lineup!

How many chams look exactly alike in colors & marking patterns? :unsure:
People generally know their own pets, and mixups are so rare that I've never heard of one at any of the animal hospitals I know of.

Hello! Unfortunately my little guy, Percy, has to go to the vet tomorrow. This is his first ever vet visit. I won't be allowed in and they will take him from me in the parking lot. I was just wondering if anyone has had to make a vet visit during this time and has any suggestions, as I'm a little worried I won't be able to be there to watch how the vet is with him and answer questions while he's being examined.

Yes, I've made several of late with my service dog for surgery, and one with my beardie. In addition to what you're already bringing, I would fill out the questionnaire used in this forum, and write down anything else you want to tell the vet, and any questions you want to ask. IME, they will answer the questions right on your sheet if possible. A tech—or sometimes the vet—will come out and talk to you afterward.

For transport, a shoebox should be sufficient unless the trip is more than an hour each way. Put a label on the box with your & your cham's info. Most likely, your cham will just go to sleep in a dark box. If a shoebox, a couple of pencil-sized airholes and rubber bands to hold the lid on should suffice unless your cham is a Schwarzenegger.

IDK what your weather is like right now, but if it's as hot as it is here, I suspect the heat source advice was boilerplate for colder weather.

Anything you might forget can be handled with a subsequent phone call or email.

Oh, yeah. Most vets nowadays want payment at the time of visit, so...

You can ask about charges ahead of time, but if something unforeseen is found, it's OK to ask to be consulted before they add anything on—someone will come out again & let you know.

I know it can be scary the first time, but it's been long enough in most places that they have things running pretty smoothly now. Think of it as "drive-thru" vet service. ;) :LOL:

EDIT: Wear a mask. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom