Vet visit was useless.

So I took my chameleon to the exotic vet and tried blood work but it was unsuccessful and we were going to try again on Monday but she wanted more X-rays and think his matter is too serious to try to fix it because of his bones are becoming weak slowly. So my ex roommate and my mom did research and think it’s MBD. Idk if I should go see another vet or just try to fix him or put him to sleep. My ex roommate told me to not give up and see if it can be fixed since he research severe cases and they can be fixed. I just wish the vet would do another blood work or do bone examination for next visit instead of me wondering what’s wrong. She wouldn’t even give him a splint because she thinks it would be useless. She told me to spend time with him in a few days and put him to sleep but I just want answers on what it is 100% I felt like my visit was back to square one on not figuring out what it is.

Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good chameleon vet. There’s a few good ones out there but you might have to drive a ways to get to them.
I live in Calgary Alberta. I feel so frustrated because I’m back to square one with him. So I’m going to change everything so far like his enclosure, his diet and meds and pain meds and also syringe his water intake. Like he’s still eating and moving. I’m so frustrated. I’m happily to do another blood work, a splint to ease him and bone examination but nope not anymore 😭

Please don't keep making another thread about the same chameleon with the same problem...it makes it hard for us to keep track of what's going on so we can help you.

MBD can be corrected by proper husbandry although it wont likely correct any bent bones. The fractured bones should be able to heal though.

I'm not a vet..but I don't really think this is MBD. It might be easier to tell if the X-rays were posted on here. You said..."she wanted more X-rays and think his matter is too serious to try to fix it because of his bones are becoming weak slowly"...why is she saying the bones are getting weaker?

It could be gout...but usually gout shows up in the ankles or wrists.
The blood work should show it if it's gout.

I think it's an injury...maybe from twisting the joint accidentally or from a fall.

I hope the next vet you see will be able to figure it out.

@ferritinmyshoes might have something to say about it.

Why are you going to change his meds?

Please don't keep making another thread about the same chameleon with the same problem...it makes it hard for us to keep track of what's going on so we can help you.

MBD can be corrected by proper husbandry although it wont likely correct any bent bones. The fractured bones should be able to heal though.

I'm not a vet..but I don't really think this is MBD. It might be easier to tell if the X-rays were posted on here. You said..."she wanted more X-rays and think his matter is too serious to try to fix it because of his bones are becoming weak slowly"...why is she saying the bones are getting weaker?

I think it's an injury...maybe from twisting the joint accidentally or from a fall.

Sorry I just figured a new thread would help. She said there’s fractures and some other bones are slowly becoming weaker and it’s too severe to figure it out. Even tho before she was willing to get him a new blood work for Monday and possibly a bone examination. But now that won’t happen. I just hate wondering wtf it’s about, like I just want to know and not be unknown. Like I’m willing to do anything to see the verdict and it’s like nope can’t do it. I feel like maybe going to a different vet and see if I can get more answers or just monitor him for a bit and then take him to a new vet. I’m so frustrated 😭😭

I’m not changing his meds. His meds are still the same with the pain/inflammation and biotics. I was hoping I get more info to see if he needs stronger meds.

Sorry that you weren’t able to get any real answers today. I don’t think you’ve had a husbandry review, and I wonder if perhaps it may be something that could be of use. Even though you’ve had your guy for 5 years, it doesn’t mean that there could be something just a tad off that has finally caught up with him. When you’re at the point of talking euthanasia, a husbandry review is certainly well worth a shot. I’m willing if you are. Just copy/paste the following with your answers in as much details as possible. Including more pics of your entire enclosure, including lights and all will also help.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom