Vet Visit for New Imports and Runty.

jpowell86

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, I was able to get my new melleri and Runty into the vet today so I could get the sex of the two melleri and a check up for Runty.

I am very pleased because both of the melleri I picked are female. I was so afraid that I was going to pick out more males. They both handled the entire process very well and are already back in their enclosure eating crickets and silkworms. I really think they are going to acclimate beautifully.

Next I had Runty looked at. I'm sure most have followed her timeline here from when Janet hatched her. He feels that the lungs are a little crowded in her body cavity. That was actually my guess when Janet and I were first discussing her gaping mouth months ago. So I am glad it is not organ malformation or something to that extent. He feels that as she grows the problem will simply take care of itself. He also stated that there appears to be a fused area towards the back area of the spine. You can actually see her pulse above her back leg in the hip region. My vet feels this is because of the fused area. Basically where there should be bone structure, there is muscle and other tissue filling that void and you can simply see where the artery has been pushed in the overall manipulation. Overall, he feels like she is going to be just fine. He wants to see her back in a couple of months. The xrays weren't great due to her overall body habitus and age. So, I will be very interested to see her progress until then. She was almost 5 grams though...which is awesome. Though, he want's me to really manage her growth rate as much as possible. He feels that the slower she grows, the better these issues will work out naturally.

He took an instant liking to her and really gave her the best of care. When we got home, I put her back in her enclosure and she just looked at me. I rewarded her with some delicious flies. I will post the video below. She is so wonderful!!

Back
Top Bottom