Vet over video call?

This is what a hospital bin generally looks like. Uvb running across the top low branches in case of fall. Clamp lamp higher off the top of the bin. These bins can get hot so you have to really watch temps and your distance with the heat bulb.

Bin.JPG

Rather than misting use a dripper. plastic solo cup with a tiny pin hole in the bottom set it on top of the cage dripping on plants. This way she gets water to drink without being sprayed.

This is what a hospital bin generally looks like. Uvb running across the top low branches in case of fall. Clamp lamp higher off the top of the bin. These bins can get hot so you have to really watch temps and your distance with the heat bulb.

View attachment 299810

Rather than misting use a dripper. plastic solo cup with a tiny pin hole in the bottom set it on top of the cage dripping on plants. This way she gets water to drink without being sprayed.
Thanks. This is very helpful. How long do you keep them in there?

Thanks. This is very helpful. How long do you keep them in there?
It just depends on the chameleon. If their grip is strong, they are trying to get out, and can fully hold themselves up then its probably time to go back to a standard cage. But if they are weak and having issues gripping it is best to keep them in something like this. Branches sitting about an inch or so from the floor. Paper towels in the bottom to keep clean. Since you will be bringing her home that day she may be weaker and unable to handle going into her cage.
It is one of those big plastic storage totes.

It just depends on the chameleon. If their grip is strong, they are trying to get out, and can fully hold themselves up then its probably time to go back to a standard cage. But if they are weak and having issues gripping it is best to keep them in something like this. Branches sitting about an inch or so from the floor. Paper towels in the bottom to keep clean. Since you will be bringing her home that day she may be weaker and unable to handle going into her cage.
It is one of those big plastic storage totes.

thanks. That’s helpful. I’m going to run out and get her a tote. Would a bath towel be better in the sense of it being a soft bottom for her? Or is paper preferable? And I assume you put the heat and UV down onto her box and keep the schedule of sleep etc as normal as possible? What kind of cover do you put on the top ideally? In the pic it looks like a plastic sheet of some kind but just checking. Thanks so much for all of this.. I hope it will be enough for her but at least she’s got a shot

thanks. That’s helpful. I’m going to run out and get her a tote. Would a bath towel be better in the sense of it being a soft bottom for her? Or is paper preferable? And I assume you put the heat and UV down onto her box and keep the schedule of sleep etc as normal as possible? What kind of cover do you put on the top ideally? In the pic it looks like a plastic sheet of some kind but just checking. Thanks so much for all of this.. I hope it will be enough for her but at least she’s got a shot
So I used a piece of window screen. Looking back the smarter thing would have been to keep the lid of the tote and cut out most of the top of it and then hot glued the screen to it. Then it fits securely to the tote But I was stressed and had to act quickly. You can drill holes in the side to put your sticks through and then hot glue them in place so they do not rotate. You would then place uvb on top directly and the heat your going to have to play with because if the tote stays warm without the heat you do not want to add it. It becomes a hot box easily. I would use paper towels just because if they get wet they are easy to pull or if she passes fecal/urate. You can put in a live pothos and vine it around the branches so she feels more secure. Then have the dripper dripping into that. Pothos tend to handle water log best. Can always set the pot into another small tupperwear so the water run off does not end up in the tote. Just ensure she can not fit down between the plant pot and the container it is sitting in. That is about it.

You would keep everything else the same. Lights on and off. If you mist it would be shorter misting and focused on the plant not near her. But like I said I think a slow drip would be better.

So I used a piece of window screen. Looking back the smarter thing would have been to keep the lid of the tote and cut out most of the top of it and then hot glued the screen to it. Then it fits securely to the tote But I was stressed and had to act quickly. You can drill holes in the side to put your sticks through and then hot glue them in place so they do not rotate. You would then place uvb on top directly and the heat your going to have to play with because if the tote stays warm without the heat you do not want to add it. It becomes a hot box easily. I would use paper towels just because if they get wet they are easy to pull or if she passes fecal/urate. You can put in a live pothos and vine it around the branches so she feels more secure. Then have the dripper dripping into that. Pothos tend to handle water log best. Can always set the pot into another small tupperwear so the water run off does not end up in the tote. Just ensure she can not fit down between the plant pot and the container it is sitting in. That is about it.

You would keep everything else the same. Lights on and off. If you mist it would be shorter misting and focused on the plant not near her. But like I said I think a slow drip would be better.
Thanks. Completely get it. At least have some time to set it up properly. We have a piece of mesh we can pop over the top. Think that might work better? It is a very fine mesh

Got it with the plants. That works. We have a little dropper which the water flow can be controlled by so we’ll use that I think. She already is used to drinking from it as well.

Thanks. Completely get it. At least have some time to set it up properly. We have a piece of mesh we can pop over the top. Think that might work better? It is a very fine mesh

Got it with the plants. That works. We have a little dropper which the water flow can be controlled by so we’ll use that I think. She already is used to drinking from it as well.
Sounds good. When you get it set up, Measure the distance to the branch with the UVB sitting on top and take a picture of the mesh for me. I just want to make sure that she is still getting good UVB levels with the new mesh.

It is a lot to deal with I know. Hopefully everything will go seamlessly and she will start feeling better. At that point if you want to go over general husbandry we can. :)

Sounds good. When you get it set up, Measure the distance to the branch with the UVB sitting on top and take a picture of the mesh for me. I just want to make sure that she is still getting good UVB levels with the new mesh.

It is a lot to deal with I know. Hopefully everything will go seamlessly and she will start feeling better. At that point if you want to go over general husbandry we can. :)
Thanks so much, really appreciate it honestly! Hopefully you guys have all helped save her life.. fingers crossed. I am getting the bin set up and ready for her tomorrow.

definitely appreciate going over general husbandry. Her reptivite with D3 came in today, let’s hope she gets to make use of it :)

Cham came out of surgery. Vet said she made it so far but obviously first 24-48h are critical (apparently they have 2 chams in right now for this exact surgery, crazy). Picking her up at the end of the day today. We have a hospital bin set up for her, vet is happy with set up.

Wondering what you guys would say are the right 'signs' if you will for the recovery track? I.e. when should she start eating, how much should she be eating, temps, etc? Hopefully we can get her through recovery smoothly.

It will take time. You’ll start noticing small changes. Don’t force feed her or anything. Let her rest, she’s going to be stressed on top of being sick so she’ll most likely sleep and stay still. give her time.

@jannb tips for post spay surgery? Besides the hospital bin... When should they offer food etc? What to look out for? What is normal post surgery?

@jannb tips for post spay surgery? Besides the hospital bin... When should they offer food etc? What to look out for? What is normal post surgery?

My vet makes sure they are eating before he lets them come home. My girls eat the evening of surgery or the next day. My vet says calories and hydration are very important for their recovery. If she’s not eating I’d get some critical care or reptaboost and give her a little several times a day, mixed really runny so she will get water, too. I also drip my girls nose with a plastic eye dropper to get them to drink.

Here’s a thread about Lola’s surgery with pictures. If you scroll through the thread it shows a picture of day two, day 4, up to day nine.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lola-is-doing-well-after-surgery.166678/

Last edited:
My vet makes sure they are eating before he lets them come home. My girls eat the evening of surgery or the next day. My vet says calories and hydration are very important for their recovery. If she’s not eating I’d get some critical care or reptaboost and give her a little several times a day, mixed really runny so she will get water, too. I also drip my girls nose with a plastic eye dropper to get them to drink.

Here’s a thread about Lola’s surgery with pictures. If you scroll through the thread it shows a picture of day two, day 4, up to day nine.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lola-is-doing-well-after-surgery.166678/
Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better, my Cham came home looking the same like your Lola after surgery (as vets is closed over weekend so it was same day, about 5-6 hours post op). We put her in the healing cage and at around 6pm and turned the light off at 7. She moved a little bit and went straight to bed. Fingers crossed she looks like your baby on day 2 later today. Incredible how quick yours was back and ready to go

Unfortunately she looks the same as yesterday. Sunken eyes, closed, very pale, nearly yellow colour. I syringed her the painkillers this morning but she vomited them up after. Now she’s asleep again. Afraid it doesn’t look too good for her. Any way I can keep her comfortable? Vet is closed now and doesn’t open until Tuesday... Don’t know if she will make it til then...

Cham unfortunately passed away... climb high Izzy, we will miss you so much. We are very distraught... not sure I will get another cham
I am so sorry that Izzy didn’t make it. Just know that you did all that you could for her.

Cham unfortunately passed away... climb high Izzy, we will miss you so much. We are very distraught... not sure I will get another cham
so very sorry for your loss hun. If you do decide to get another get a Male... We are always here if you need help with anything for the set up.

Back
Top Bottom