Vet Broke Her Ribs?

HI Everyone! I just got this account and I'm excited to join the community! I recently got a cham, she's maybe like 3 moths old? She had an upper respiratory tract infection so I took her to the vet. He gave me antibiotics that did help the infection go away, but since I brought her home it seems like her ribs look different. It almost looks like some little bumps under her skin. It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but I'm sure you guys will catch my drift, it's the four little dots below her spine. I've looked around the other forums, and some people have said broken ribs, some have said excess calcium deposits, I'm just not sure which is affecting my little girl, could it be a result of the infection? Will it go away/heal on its own? Any advice would be helpful, and I'll fill out that super long form if need be, just let me know!

Thank you all in advance!!
- Payton

IMG_3047.jpg IMG_3037.jpg

Odds are they are broken ribs. but those knobs are healed broken ribs. They should have been there pre vet. They are very springy and take the hard blow when they fall out of trees in self defense. If the vet did sound rough handlinging (look in mouth etc), you will get black spots etc were the grip was.

@nightanole Thank you for your response! Maybe she was mishandled at the PetSmart I got her from (probably not the best place to get them). Do you think I should be doing anything more to help her, or should she be okay since the knobs mean her ribs are healed?
- also a bonus unrelated question: can you tell from that second picture if she looks dehydrated? I've heard the skin gets saggy when they are, but I can't tell if that's what's going on with those wrinkles?

Welcome to the forum... Nothing you can do for broken ribs but give it time and proper husbandry to promote healing.
You might consider filling out this form with detail and posting pics of the entire enclosure lighting down. Her eyes should not be closed like that in the first pic.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

@Beman : Her eyes should not be closed like that in the first pic.
Thank you for your response! The first picture was from a day or two after she got back from the vet, and she was still suffering from the respiratory infection, which I believe is why her eyes were closed. Now that she's finished her meds they are open all the time again! I will also make a separate post later with the husbandry form to get advice and make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks again!

@nightanole Thank you for your response! Maybe she was mishandled at the PetSmart I got her from (probably not the best place to get them). Do you think I should be doing anything more to help her, or should she be okay since the knobs mean her ribs are healed?
- also a bonus unrelated question: can you tell from that second picture if she looks dehydrated? I've heard the skin gets saggy when they are, but I can't tell if that's what's going on with those wrinkles?

We get tons of broken ribs and they are all fine. In the wild they catch them with tongs etc. its cartilage so it heals pretty quick. Now if it happens in your care, thats a sign of bone weakness. And hopefully it will smooth out a bit since they will be doubling in weight every 6-8 weeks. I had one with the top of the eye ball socket missing from what i assume was a bird peck, but it filled in by the time he was an adult.

Regarding dehydration....what color are her urates?
They're usually nice and white, sometimes light yellow, but nothing crazy! Her skin is the only physical concern I have about the dehydration, and she'll only drink for a minute or two a day (and will only drink if I'm watching over her), so I'm not sure if that's normal.

Back
Top Bottom