Very sick veiled cham

Cheech92

Hey guys worried about my cham.
I've had him around 6 months. Been perfectly fine till the past 3-4 days now.
Really sluggish sleeping all the time not really eating. He's not shooting his tongue out to get his food. Took him to the vet this earlier she gave him a calcium shot and gave me some antibiotics to give to him every other day. He's always been a small guy but weighs 32g she said their usually around 50g at his age. Was wondering if any of you guys can tell me what he's doing with his leg while he's asleep. It's hanging there and sort of twitching I suppose. Tried to attach vid but not having it. Thankyou

If you haven't already, fill this out with as much detail as possible. This will make it easier for the "experts" to help you accurately. Best of luck to you!!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand andtype of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting yourfeeders with and what is theschedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Male Veiled chameleon.
8 months old I've had him about 6 months.
I don't handle him as often as I'd like due to work. But he will come to me and on my hand if encouraged by food.
So I feed him mainly locusts. With wax worms as treats if you like. I gut load my locust. And feed him 1 a day or every other. Depending if he will take them or not. I use nutrobal calcium and multivitamin to dust them with usually every 3 day days but I have neglected this over the past few weeks. Hence while he's not too good atm.
I must his tank once or twice a day. For a few minutes he's not to keen on it still. Tends to hide till I'm done. I do see him drink but not often. As I work in the evenings and when I get home the auto lights off and he's asleep.
Usually decent poop. With white tip and brown solid afterwards. But past couple days it's just shot out like a rocket. Pure liquid by I can see the colour difference. Basically looks like he's got the shits.
Temp is between 77 and 83.
Humidity around the same.
Have uvb bulb which is due for a change this week.
And heat bulb for basking spot.
Have live plants checked with the pet shop who speacilises in reptiles and assures me the 3 plants I have a safe for him. in correct soil can't think what it's called now (tired).

Few questions for you:

1. Do you really only feed 1 locust every other day?

2. Basically not much supplements? What's your detailed schedule?

3. You said UVB but is it compact or linear and what percent?

4. Enclosure measurements?

If this is all true you have some serious issues we need to work through. His back legs in the video is in a strange position not to mention what's going on with his from leg. He is in bad shape and I hope your vet gave you some more advice then just give him meds. This little guy is likely in serious trouble. I feel so bad.

Last edited:
When I got him they gave me everything I needed they didn't mention anything about d3 supplements.
I was feeding him two a day but as he got older he wasn't as interested in eating so I still give him the opportunity to eat but hasn't been taking as often as I'd come home and there would still be one in there where he hasn't eaten it. Been like that for a couple months. He's been completely fine till tuesday. Vet gave me the meds and said use this every other day. Didn't really go into much other detail.
Enclosure is 45 x 45 x 60
20181005_101041.jpg
to be honest. He's not going to make it. He walks around with his eyes closed and I've been trying to get any food in him and he's not having it. I think he's just waiting to die

That's helpful thankyou. I've been under feeding him according to this. They only told me to give 1 or 2 a day in the shop. Feeling pretty bad about this.

Don't beat yourself up to much about it. Just make sure you do some in depth research. Where did you get him? Often times many pet stores will sell them not knowing anything about them at all. They could even be sick before you purchase them.

All there's left to do now is try and correct the places where you went wrong and give your little guy a good life. I'm praying for him. :)

Got him from my local one. He sells nothing but reptiles and amphibians and occasional kittens. But he said he doesn't get chameleons in often.
I appreciate your help guys. I let you know how he gets on

He was not just fine up until Tuesday, you said he hasn’t been eating for two months. You can’t give up on him, you bought him without knowing how to care for him, you owe him that much.

Get some of the syringes used to give infants oral liquid meds, fill it with finely ground up feeder insects mixed with a little water, toss a pinch of quality gut load in there too. Stick the syringe all the way in the back of his mouth and slowly administer it. Same for liquid calcium if you aren’t doing it already. You will have to hold him down and he will never forgive you for it but it’s your only shot at correcting the mistakes of the past and possibly saving his life.
A9713234-F6DB-40A7-80E4-A98FA21CF082.png
B26752C7-D7E3-48E9-B28E-A592042DE246.png

Attachments

• F1B12C67-79F4-41E3-A0C4-CDF2391F6296.png
    F1B12C67-79F4-41E3-A0C4-CDF2391F6296.png
    607.8 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom