Very parnoid !!

Fool

I had a 3 to 4 week chameleon and it died because a fruit fly stepped in its eye and it never opened them again. Well now I got a pygmy and his small and i saw a fruit fly go close to his eye and I got scared and am scared that the same thing will happen again do I have to worry about this or was it just bad luck the first time around?

Are you sure that is why the first chamelon died? That does not seem very logical. Did a vet tell you that was the cause of death?

Are you sure that is why the first chameleon died? That does not seem very logical. Did a vet tell you that was the cause of death?

Yea because the vet said himself it had no sighs of infection or didn't look like something was in there. Also I was there when it happened and it was always walking blind after that moment I kept watch over it 24/7 when that happened cause it kept walking blind and falling off the plant and i didn't want it to get hurt. It pissed me off because it was my first cham and I had everything right its like something out of my control happaned and I felt so helpless because I spent so much time researching and preparing so that's why I'm afraid. I also suffer from paranoia so that add s on to the problem :(

Fool-the fly did not kill your chameleon. It was either the fact that she was already sick when you got her, you messed with her too much, or your lighting (UVB compact) or temps were wrong. Pygmies are NOT easy. You should not be handling it, and you should be keeping your temp range between 70-75. They often will not eat when you watch them, and you should absolutely not have light on them at night. You need to make sure the crickets are small enough, place about 3-4 in the cage every other day or so. Mist the cage twice daily, but do not over water. Do you have a picture of the cage setup?

I had a 3 to 4 week chameleon and it died because a fruit fly stepped in its eye and it never opened them again. Well now I got a pygmy and his small and i saw a fruit fly go close to his eye and I got scared and am scared that the same thing will happen again do I have to worry about this or was it just bad luck the first time around?

Hhhmmmmm...

My self I feel anybody that puts the time into hatching A clutch. Then to sell them premature is A bit greedy and of questionable charater.

Fool-the fly did not kill your chameleon. It was either the fact that she was already sick when you got her, you messed with her too much, or your lighting (UVB compact) or temps were wrong. Pygmies are NOT easy. You should not be handling it, and you should be keeping your temp range between 70-75. They often will not eat when you watch them, and you should absolutely not have light on them at night. You need to make sure the crickets are small enough, place about 3-4 in the cage every other day or so. Mist the cage twice daily, but do not over water. Do you have a picture of the cage setup?

What?!? I never said I was handling my pygmys and my temps are between 70 and 75 and the food is fruit flies I put like 20-25 and its still hard for him to see them his in a 10 gallon tank were you assuming that I was doing these things or were you just stating these things to me? this isn't a question about the pygmy eating im just paranoid that a fly will harm its eye.

No Fool-I did not say you were doing these things, it is just advice on what to do/not to do. I have never had pygmies be too interested in fruit flies, so you might want to try crickets. I am also trying to tell you that the flies will not hurt your pygmy.

No Fool-I did not say you were doing these things, it is just advice on what to do/not to do. I have never had pygmies be too interested in fruit flies, so you might want to try crickets. I am also trying to tell you that the flies will not hurt your pygmy.

OK thank you for your input I really don't know what happened with my first the vet couldn't figure it out either why she wouldn't open her eyes.Well I guess ill buy him crickets then should I buy one size smaller than 1/4 to have them grow into 1/4 I don't want to buy 500 1/4 crickets then have them grow to 3/8 in a week you know.

Oh my gosh. When you have more than one or two, and you buy 500 1/8" to give room to grow, you end up feeding off the stupid bugs because they need more of them compared to 1/4" sizes. Plus the room they are in is very cool, so growth is slow. Mine can all handle up to 1/2" (if I'm pushing it) so I have decided to not buy 1/8" crickets. I have watched a dusted fruit fly step in a pygmy's eye because he was lame and didn't close it. I just dripped some saline solution into his eye and he took care of the rest. Fruit flies do not kill lizards by stepping in their eyes.

Yea Fool, I really highly doubt that was the cause of your little one's death. I think it's a case of coincidence but not causation. And IF it was the cause, it was certainly a freak accident that will probably never happen to you again. So I would just stop worrying about it.

Besides, it's not like you can give your chams goggles to protect them :D Worrying will only give you gray hairs in this case, and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

try putting a piece of fruit in the cage so the flies will stay put and your guy can just hunt em down.

Back
Top Bottom