very close call- check your outdoor cages daily!

little leaf

Avid Member
well, we have all read the post about chams who get lost- and think it could never happen to MY cham- that is what I thought too - until yesterday :(
I had my Panther out in my big cage, it has a tub in the bottom, and many large potted plants - we have had 22 days of rain - and I dont mean sprinkles, these are down pours! anyway, I knew no one could get out of the cage, but even so, I check at least once an hr on who ever is in the cage- with all the rain, it never occurred to me that the plants were getting so much rain in the pots they became to heavy for the bottom, and it bowed it out , making a big gap on the back side I did not see because of how thick the plants are in there - he got out - he also has become horrible about not staying in his indoor cage, as soon as I open his door, he will do what ever it takes to get out, and wants to get on me- or if he gets on the floor, he will follow me- I was telling Laurie it was kinda starting to irritate me , because he is more worried about getting on me than even eating - and sorry Capone- you are NOT eating roaches off my head !! :p well, it is just this "bad habit" of his that got him found too- I was standing under a tree- and a movement caught my eye- it was him coming down the tree to get on me - I dont think I would have ever found him had he not wanted to come to me- so this is a reminder to give your outdoor cages a "once over" daily- now I am to scared to put anyone out in anything - lol I though I had the safest cage - I am going to BOLT the bottom on - but I am sure it was the weight of the water logged plants that caused the bottom to fail - and I will NEVER complain about his clingy behavior again :)

Last edited:
Wow, good thing he came to you. My panther is the same way. I can get really annoyed when I want him to eat and all he wants to do is get on me. Glad he didn't get lost.

Wow, good thing he came to you. My panther is the same way. I can get really annoyed when I want him to eat and all he wants to do is get on me. Glad he didn't get lost.

me too ! I literally felt the ground spinning when I knew he had gotten out when I saw the gap- it was the worst feeling in the world - I am also glad I am so paranoid and check the cage every hr - but actually , it has only be like 20 min/ because guess what - ANOTHER storm was starting, so that is why I went to get him - I wont leave them out in the rain - not this rain anyway- the other day it was over an 1" an hr ! i am SO sick of this rain :mad:

Thats way cool that you found him. I don't think I would find my
Veiled so easily (he's not the clingy type.) Whenever I hear about
other peoples chams being so willing to get on them it makes
me wish mine would become more attached to me. Oh well I'll just
keep working with him. But I'm glad you found your little guy. :)

So glad you found him :) My panther is the same way. He loves climbing on our arms, or even head. Anytime we go up to the cage, he sits and waits for us to open it so he can climb onto us.

me too ! I literally felt the ground spinning when I knew he had gotten out when I saw the gap- it was the worst feeling in the world - I am also glad I am so paranoid and check the cage every hr - but actually , it has only be like 20 min/ because guess what - ANOTHER storm was starting, so that is why I went to get him - I wont leave them out in the rain - not this rain anyway- the other day it was over an 1" an hr ! i am SO sick of this rain :mad:
How bad of a storm do you still leave your chams out?

How bad of a storm do you still leave your chams out?

funny you should ask, we just had TORNADO warnings, I did bring the babies in for that- we had 60 mph winds , but missed the tornado - but we have trees down all over the barns, outbuilding, one on top of the mow tractor & camper- :mad: :mad: WHAT A MESS ! that storm is the only one I have taken the babies in for - but I have a cover for the top of their cage, if it is going to pour, I put it on, but just reg/ rain, I leave them out - I pull in the panther, because he hates rain/water, but I leave all the Jax out in the rain, but not bad storms -

Thats way cool that you found him. I don't think I would find my
Veiled so easily (he's not the clingy type.) Whenever I hear about
other peoples chams being so willing to get on them it makes
me wish mine would become more attached to me. Oh well I'll just
keep working with him. But I'm glad you found your little guy. :)

Sounds like the cham found him rather than he found cham lol. V lucky, glad he's safe.

Back
Top Bottom