Verry picky Ambanja?? opinions wanted!!

cykada

Hey everyone, i wanted to see if anyones Chams do the same sometimes.
My 9 month old Male CB Ambanja recently decided not too eat crickets...
meal worms, wax worms, he will eat that in a flash, but when i show him crickets, he doesnt react to them. any thoughts? i tried different sized crickets, too see if his reaction would be different, however he does react a little different to vit. coated crickets but still not as much as before.
any suggestions? i did recently move him to a larger cage if that changes anything but i doubt it. dont get me wrong, he will on the occasion eat a cricket or two roaming around in his cage, but shows no interest in them like before.

i was just in the same boat as you were in! here they gave me a bunch of helpful tips stop feeding him worms period. and only offer him crickets he will get hungry enough to eat the crickets i know sounds crazy and mean but it truly works after 2 or three days she's eating crickets again! she went on this kick for not eating crickets for months! and i learned my lesson she is never getting mealworms again! haha

I tried the hold out routine on my chameleon who would not eat crickets after a few days of not feeding, and it didn't work... so I just decided, he does not like crickets and so be it!!! He did for about the first 6 months I had him and then I began adding the worms to his diet and...uh oh!!! You can do what you want, but I would rather see my cham eat then starve. JMO!!!

same issues here ... but ifeed him every other day now and mix up worms and crikets and he is fine... i think their appitte slows down at that age

well i wasn't going to actually starve her to death! if she didn't eat the crickets in like 2 days i was going to give her the silkworms i bought for her because them living off meal worms i heard is a no no so i caved in and bought her silkworms but actually what i think my problem was is that she was bored because she was so little i had to take her out of her cage put her in a smaller cage just to feed her but now I'm feeding her in her cage now i think she is just having fun chasing them around haha

Hey everyone, i wanted to see if anyones Chams do the same sometimes.
My 9 month old Male CB Ambanja recently decided not too eat crickets...
meal worms, wax worms, he will eat that in a flash, but when i show him crickets, he doesnt react to them. any thoughts? i tried different sized crickets, too see if his reaction would be different, however he does react a little different to vit. coated crickets but still not as much as before.
any suggestions? i did recently move him to a larger cage if that changes anything but i doubt it. dont get me wrong, he will on the occasion eat a cricket or two roaming around in his cage, but shows no interest in them like before.

dont offer unhealthy fatty worms and he wont have any choice but to eat crickets and the other better feeders you hopefully provide.

this is NOT starving him - he'd still have access to food, and if he chooses not to eat crickets he's probably not all that hungry.

edit: do you offer the worms in a different manner than the crickets? sometimes changing how the crickets are presented helps

Last edited:
I have this problem with my 10 month old male Veiled right now.......he has gone over a week and has only eaten 1 medium locust in that time (crickets always on offer). The locust was a moment of weakness on my part - he looked hungry at me and I cracked. I'm still hoping to get him eating his crickets again, but if he starts to get actually thinner I'll have to give him locusts and order some Dubias I think..........

so i see im not alone :) ill stop feeding him worms and ill see what happens, ill keep you posted. and no i dont feed him crickets differently, i usualy feed him worms and crickets by hand or i just toss them in his cage and let him hunt.
when i got him at 6 months he was really aggressive and hated being handled, now hes as tame as a bearded dragon.

diet

I'll put him on an " every other day " feeding diet consisting of only gut loaded crickets, ill let you know if anything improves.

Just to let you know, I got some Dubias....my guy eyed them suspiciously and then ignored them for a bit....but he ate them :) three of them! I'm well pleased :D. The other lizards had a couple each too.

Back
Top Bottom