Veiled vs Panther

PattyCake

Hi guys (and girls) on this forum! Do you prefer the panther chameleon or the veiled chameleon? I have also heard that the panther chameleon is harder to keep. Is this true?

I don't really have a personal preference, I love all the different and exotic colors a panther chameleon can have but I also love all the simplistic turquoises and yellows the veiled has.Its not really harder to keep the veiled is just SO easy to keep. This is because the Veiled can handle a little more of a temp variety and more general user mistakes, which makes it the perfect beginning cham. The Panther Chameleon is about as east to keep the differences are is that it is a litle more selective on the temperature that it can live in, it costs a LOT more, and it won't get quite as big (a fully grown Veiled can reach up to 24" in length and a panther 21"). The general rule of thumb is that if you are new and starting out get a veiled, however it is possible to start with a panther as well. :)

They are more or less the same. Veiled have more attitude, but it all depends on idividual. They can be kept with a bit higher temps and lower humidity. Some say they are more "forgiving" when it comes to husbandry.
I only have experience with panthers, so I'm not saying it from my own experience.

I prefer panthers, personally. They really aren't any more difficult to keep, just ever so slightly different. They seem to enjoy water more than veileds, so they might appreciate a nice long mist now and then where as a veiled might not.

I prefer Veiled just because i get to play the game "will he eat it?" with fruit and veggies on a stick. Ill even put berries on a string and "fly" it in the cage for the little guy to catch.

I own both species.

I love the size of my male veiled and the huge casque, and the amazing turquioise green he is.

I love my two male panthers for the fact that one is super blue, and the other is showing some unbelievable oranges.

As olimpia said, panthers seem to like more water, and can handle slightly higher temps. Otherwise, i care for both species the same way.

THat being said, if you want a veiled, I know someone who happens to have 34 little babies that are just a month or so away from needing new homes.

:D

Yes me. I know im shameless. haha.

i own both as well. I love my veiled because he is massive and very impressive although he has the WORST temper imaginable. My panther is only 4 months old but i love the colors he is showing already and generally they are supposed to be more docile then the veileds but mine is almost just as grumpy!!!

I got my panther just a couple of weeks ago. He is the sweetest guy ever! I suspect he gets stoned when I don't see it.
I love my veileds too. They are mean and grumpy, but it makes them special. All my friends are scared of Ripley:D this is something for a small lizard

the way I see it veiled have a cooler shape (massive casque etc) and you can figure out the sex as soon as they hatch . panthers on the other hand have prettier flashy colors, but I don't really love the shape of the head, (especially the fatter ones look like they have a little pillow on the back of the head :D) having said that they are both good beginners chams, maybe veileds are a bit more resistant and tolerant with the little husbandry mistakes every newbie makes...

I have two veileds and have had a female panther in the past. I love, love, LOVE my veiled's - they have my heart and I'm not sure if its the casque, the colors (my male is a spectacular turquoise) or the varied, and often sassy attitudes! I have been lucky in that both my veileds have great personalities. My panther was also a lovely little lady, although less colorful than my veiled's but she had a sweet personality and was very patient with my handling of her, which is important to me. My next quest is a male panther, if I can take a step back from loving the veiled's (I am thinking of another male veiled, even now, although I have a line on a Mitsio in the next few months!)

Its really a matter of preference - I didn't find the differences in husbandry enough to really have a problem tweaking it for either species. If you want colorful then a male panther is the way to go!

One thing is certain, once you own a cham, you'll never look back no matter what the species!!

I have two veileds and have had a female panther in the past. I love, love, LOVE my veiled's - they have my heart and I'm not sure if its the casque, the colors (my male is a spectacular turquoise) or the varied, and often sassy attitudes!

I second you! Casque and attitude=)

Back
Top Bottom