Veiled strange behavior

Entrax

Hello, since 2 days my female cham behavior is very strange. Before that she was sitting on top and basking, not moving a lot. Now she is roaming non stop in the terrarium. There is nothing changed in her habitat. I think that could be because she is pregnant. She has laying bin, going down to it, then go back to top. (not staying on the bin for too long, also i did not saw her digging) The soil is moist enought to dig and not to colapse on her. I will be glad to hear what you will say.

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_190502.jpg
    IMG_20190130_190502.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 113
she is most definitely gravid, if you're not seeing her dig holes then I would try covering the sides of her cage so she cannot see you and/or try digging a test hole for her so she knows that it is okay to dig. how big is your lay bin??? as for the restlessness I would say that's a side effect of her being gravid and wandering around.

The laying bin is flower pot Ф300mm and 300mm depth. I tried to cover the cage, but nothing happend. Maybe i sould cover it for longer ? 2-3 days ? Only to give her food and water, if she is not diging.

yes, cover it for longer and watch her eating, they will eat a big amount at first then go off of food, that's when she will start to dig. also make sure you're supplementing correctly because she will need a lot of calcium to form those eggs.

I will remove the cover, because she is non stop stress color - bright green + black dots and she is staying only on the top of the cage.

I also have another question. When i bought her, they told me she was with male in one habitat. She was 6-7 months old when i bougt her. So my question is - is it possible to have fertile eggs ?

My girl is still gravid. She isn't roaming a lot and eating ... well.. Not like before, but stil good - 5 cricets per day (big crickets) and sometimes + 2 3 superworms. Now she has automatic misting system wich runs 5 times per day for 1,30 min + once for 3 mins. Her cage is covered at the bottom (50cm) but i never saw her to dig. There are blue dots on her. I think she is ok, but its not her time to lay.

PS: Her tongue problem still occures, but when the "pray" is in front of her, she catch them. She is eating from big bow, where the crickets cant escape.

PS: Her tongue problem still occures, but when the "pray" is in front of her, she catch them. She is eating from big bow, where the crickets cant escape.

You never said anything about tongue problems, that changes everything!

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

I have made another post for that problem, but i will put new info here.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 11 months old female veiled. Has been in my care for 4 months.
  • Handling - Not very often, because she does not like.
  • Feeding -Most of his meal is crickets. I also give her superworms and dubias. Her daily diet is 6-10 (depends on what she is eating) crickets . She is eating from 11;00 to 17;00. I gut load with greens, apples and fruits.
  • Supplements - ExoTerra Calcium without D3, Drago-Vit calcium +D3, TetraFauna ReptoLife minerals. For 1 month i was giving her only Drago-Vit calcium +D3 + ReptoLife on every single cricket (Did not know, i should give her without D3). For 3 months the schedule is: On every cricket or dubia calcium without d3 and twice a month Calcium +d3 + vitamins.
  • Watering - Automatic misting system - 09;00 , 12;00 , 15;00 - for 1.5 min. 18;00 - 3min
  • Fecal Description - Normal, white urates. Never been tested.
  • History - I made some mistakes with her light. I had compact uvb bulb for 2 months. Also the supplements schedule.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, 400mm x 500mm x 1100mm
  • Lighting - ExoTerra UVB 5.0 Repti Glo 15W - Linear, Reflector bulb Sylvania 75W for the basking spot. Turns on at 08;30 - turns off at 19;30.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is 31-32C and at the bottom of the cage is 25C(that's my home temp) Lowest overnight temp is not more than 23-24C. I have thermometer inside the cage.
  • Humidity - Humidity is 45% to 85% max.
  • Plants - I have 2 live plants - Benjamina and Schefflera.
  • Placement - It's in my living room on a shelf. It's about 1,8m high at his max point. There are no fans, air vents. My wife and kid are in this room whole day.
  • Location - Sofia, Bulgaria.

Current Problem - When i bought her everything was O.K. (I saw her hunting for more than 40cm) After 1 month, she started to miss her crickets. 2 of 5 shots were not in the target. Now she is eating from 2 - 3cm and sometimes is missing too.

@Brodybreaux25 can you say your opinion ?
I think the wrong supplements and UVB is what caused the poor aim. Your uvb still isn’t right, should be 10.0 or 12%. But I feel like there is something else happening here, just a feeling... She is way over-fed and it shows, I’ve never seen a gravid veild that big. I’m worried she is carrying a huge clutch of eggs which by itself can kill her by over-taxing her system. Factor in the wrong supplements and lighting and she has the odds stacked against her.

If she were mine I’d get her examined by a vet.

Back
Top Bottom