Veiled sleeping upside down

Jenni2370

Last night Herbie decided to sleep at the top of his cage upside down gripping onto the screen. He has never done this before and I was really worried that he was going to fall in his sleep so I kept checking in every hour or so but he never fell.. Is this something I should be worried about? I keep the temperature during the day between 80 mid tank-98 at the hottest basking spot, and night time drops to about 65-75...

I'm not sure about the sleeping, maybe he was just there when the light turned off and fell asleep?
What kind of chameleon and how old? Because I think 98 for a basking spot is wayyyyy too hot, especially if it's a baby like what it looks like in your avatar.

Edit- Oh duh, it's a veiled. lol. Yeah, 98 is extremely hot. A young one should have a basking spot of 82-83, and I'd say mid cage mid 70s. Night temps are fine.

Last night Herbie decided to sleep at the top of his cage upside down gripping onto the screen. He has never done this before and I was really worried that he was going to fall in his sleep so I kept checking in every hour or so but he never fell.. Is this something I should be worried about? I keep the temperature during the day between 80 mid tank-98 at the hottest basking spot, and night time drops to about 65-75...

Mine did that too. More than likely thats just where he was when he fell asleep. My veiled falls asleep wherever he is once his lights go off.
I wouldn't be concerned, I doubt he will fall. Thats what the toenails are for

Yes, still way too hot. Mine is 7 months and his basking spot never goes over 85. In a few months I'll raise it a little.

Here is Jannb's blog on raising veileds. Lots of great info.
"You probably will not need a basking light right at first if he's young.....under 4 months old. He'll be so young he'll only need to bask at about 80 to 82 until 4 or 5 months old. Luie (my adult male veiled) bask at 88 or 89 for an adult panther 85. You can use a household bulb and you'll have to keep testing the temps. (25 to 40 watt or so)"
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

ok I wondered about this too, BUTTTTT!! mine was sleeping hanging upside down by her back legs and tail!! she slept like that for about 6 hours until i went to sleep then the next morning she had her front claws in the screen too!!! it was sooo crazy I was so scared she was dead or dying!!

Back
Top Bottom