Veiled : Shed taking a very long time

jbarrett98042

Hey there! I have a 7 - 8 month old veiled (fairly large, with tail 10 inches to a foot) who is taking quite some time to finish this particular shed he's been in now for a while.

It's been about a month. He first shed the skin on his head, feet, and tail fairly fine, although that did take a week or so even. He's been looking like he is slowly shedding the rest of his skin on his body since.

He's getting misted twice daily, calcium with d3 every feed, vitamins every other feed. He eats well, although not much as he ate when he was a jouvenile.

He doesn't seem to be sluggish, or showing any other signs of illness or anything that I can tell. Color is always vibrant, and he's pretty active, poops look normal.

The only thing I can think, is maybe his UVB bulb is getting weak? It's not burned out, but I have had the same bulb in for 6 - 7 months now. Not producing enough of the spectrum anymore, or is this normal for a slightly older chameleon?

Thanks!

The poor fellow has also lost one of his toenails because of the mesh on his cage. He, for a few weeks until I moved the position of his cage to a window, had a habbit of scratching at his mesh like he wanted out.

Is there a better type of mesh cage for chameleons? A larger mesh maybe that is less likely to snag a toenail? Cage is a zoo med mesh cage.

11059706_10153181338964753_465029135266454959_n.jpg

He's quite healthy looking otherwise. :) Name is Alton.

Back
Top Bottom