Veiled Scratching Face?!?

EvilEva69

So many of you know that my 1 year old veiled chameleon Mystique has mbd. In the past few days she's managed to perk up a bit now that she's in a 20g long tank, to prevent damage from falling. She's moving around more now. But i've noticed that every once and a while when she's walking her right front foot will scratch at her face/eye. she doesn't leave marks or draw blood, and i always try to stop her when i see her doing it. any idea why this might be happening and how i could stop it, i'm afraid she's going to seriously hurt herself.

Last edited:
What's being done to correct her MBD?
Have you got a place in her cage for her to dig to show you when she needs to lay eggs?

vet said her mdb had progressed to far for effective treatment. she has 12in of sand in her new low long cage, so she doesnt hurt herself by falling.

So did the vet suggest euthanizing her then??

I've seen some chameleons make some pretty good recoveries from MBD. I would be giving her some liquid calcium gluconate or sandoz that you can buy at the pharmacy. Its rather syrupy so ease it into the chameleon's mouth a little at a time so that it can swallow it without aspirating it. You will need an eyedropper or a syringe with no needle. At the same time make sure that she is close enough to the UVB light that it will allow her to get the exposure she needs to produce the D3 she needs to use the calcium. It wouldn't hurt to dust the insects with the calcium/D3 powder for a couple of extra times this month as well...but make sure that your powder has no prEformed vitamin A in it.

Look at this example...
before...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5z6M_tcQX4
after...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5EAgj9kRVI

So did the vet suggest euthanizing her then??

I've seen some chameleons make some pretty good recoveries from MBD. I would be giving her some liquid calcium gluconate or sandoz that you can buy at the pharmacy. Its rather syrupy so ease it into the chameleon's mouth a little at a time so that it can swallow it without aspirating it. You will need an eyedropper or a syringe with no needle. At the same time make sure that she is close enough to the UVB light that it will allow her to get the exposure she needs to produce the D3 she needs to use the calcium. It wouldn't hurt to dust the insects with the calcium/D3 powder for a couple of extra times this month as well...but make sure that your powder has no prEformed vitamin A in it.

good advice!

Back
Top Bottom