Veiled Questions

bg77

I have been told that you should not have a dripper in the cage of a Veiled cham because they will get sick from the bateria from all the moisture. All you need to do is mist them twice a day? This is because of the dry region that they come from. Is this true? I have a drain in my cage, so not alot of moisture from the dripper, it drips really slow. I also read in a brochure not to use ficus/hibiscus in your cage due to the fact of the milky sap. Is this true? I have 3 different ficus's right now.

Thanks in advance.

There's no problem using a dripper as long as you clean it out regularly....most people use/recommend drippers.

I have a ficus. I do take it out if and when I trim the ficus, and make sure the sap drys before you put it back.

Well... we had a dripper, but it was incredibly inconvenient because it made a mess of the cage. Now we alternate the dripper, few-times-a-day misting, and sometimes I will put an ice cube on top of the cage where it will drip over the leaves. We also have one of those motorized waterfall things which he does use (and helps regulate humidity)- but if you go that route, make sure you clean it frequently and at LEAST once a week pour some boiling water in and run it (not around the cham of course!) so that any bacteria is killed. Then give it a good scrub (no chemicals) and you're good to go. This way, he always has water available, and in different forms.

Back
Top Bottom