Veiled Outdoors

noahrofsky7

Established Member
Hello,

I live in Orange County in Southern California. I know that Jackson’s can be kept outdoors year round no problem here, but was wondering about the veileds since that is what I have.

Currently it is starting to cool down, with day temps in the mid to high 60’s to low 70’s. Night time dips down to 55-60.

It usually doesn’t get hotter than 90 where I am during the summer. My greatest concern is that it would be just a BIT cold during winter nights and mornings.

What about rainy days?

I have plenty of good areas to put an enclosure.

Thoughts?

Thanks

So I would be hesitant keeping them outdoors if it drops below 50. Most will keep theirs in an indoor cage during winter. For summer make sure your cage is heavily planted and you provide a screen of some sort to block intense heat. 90 is still hot... And in the sun it is well over 100 for them which is too hot.

So I would be hesitant keeping them outdoors if it drops below 50. Most will keep theirs in an indoor cage during winter. For summer make sure your cage is heavily planted and you provide a screen of some sort to block intense heat. 90 is still hot... And in the sun it is well over 100 for them which is too hot.
If it doesn’t drop below 55 usually would I be fine? I know the veileds are sensitive to cold compared to Jackson’s.
thanks

If it doesn’t drop below 55 usually would I be fine? I know the veileds are sensitive to cold compared to Jackson’s.
thanks
All reptiles are going to be sensitive to it though. This is why iguannas fall out of trees when it gets below 40. There is a point where it is just too cold for their bodies. Veileds can easily handle down to 50. Just keep in mind what are your daytime temps then? They have to be able to warm back up. So if it is staying in the 60's during the day it is not a lot of heat for them to warm back up. I would monitor him. Even though an animal can handle something it does not make it good for them long term.

All reptiles are going to be sensitive to it though. This is why iguannas fall out of trees when it gets below 40. There is a point where it is just too cold for their bodies. Veileds can easily handle down to 50. Just keep in mind what are your daytime temps then? They have to be able to warm back up. So if it is staying in the 60's during the day it is not a lot of heat for them to warm back up. I would monitor him. Even though an animal can handle something it does not make it good for them long term.
Ok. I will give it a shot when it starts to warm back up then.
Thanks!

You just really want to monitor temps closely. If you have a garage then put the cage on wheels so you can easily roll it in. This way if it is supposed to be colder that night you can move him in where it is warmer.
Damn, smart man would’ve never thought of that lol.

Damn, smart man would’ve never thought of that lol.
Quite a few of the outdoor keepers do this. This way the cham is safe. Garages tend to be at least 10 degrees warmer than outside. Get a govee temp gauge so you can see what yours runs. Then you can look at the app and see exactly what temp and humidity level it is at any time through the night when you get up the next day.

Quite a few of the outdoor keepers do this. This way the cham is safe. Garages tend to be at least 10 degrees warmer than outside. Get a govee temp gauge so you can see what yours runs. Then you can look at the app and see exactly what temp and humidity level it is at any time through the night when you get up the next day.
This is what I am doing, also in So Cal. Outdoor temps currently about 57 at night with approximately 80% humidity. It's getting to the point where I am slightly uncomfortable leaving my young veiled outside. My garage will get to about 62 degrees if I leave the window open. If it gets colder I'll just keep the window closed.

This is what I am doing, also in So Cal. Outdoor temps currently about 57 at night with approximately 80% humidity. It's getting to the point where I am slightly uncomfortable leaving my young veiled outside. My garage will get to about 62 degrees if I leave the window open. If it gets colder I'll just keep the window closed.
I live in Orange near Disney and it gets both too hot well over 110 and too cold below 45 for a cham. Not to mention that I have seen a skunk, hawk possum and cats in my yard. Then there are the fires with horrible air quality and or 5% humidity for days. Way too many variables for me!

Well I live in Los Angeles and i know temps drop too cold here at times especially if its snowing in the mountains with a jet stream dip. Also weather reports here never factor in a wind chill factor. Also marine layers can cause localized changes that are not reported. You will need to have lights on hand, basking and UVB, for garage times. I personally would not chance an outside winter here. One slip in being deligent About weather conditions could result in death. OC And Inland empire many times gets colder than here with lows dropping to 30s and even 20s during winter months. This means temps in an unheated garage will get below 50. The average temps in OC for March are average high 70 and average low 49. i got this info 2 minutes ago. Global warming has also given us unpredictable weather patterns and temp changes so you might want to rethink keeping a veiled outside. Good luck to you and i hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom