Veiled or Panther? Help me decide please

Kimmers

Over the years its been baby Veileds I would see in pet stores, fall in love with and pledge that one day I would have one. (Adult Veileds seemed just as wonderful.) Having finally decided to have a chameleon, I started reading and gleaned from posts here that Panthers tend to be more friendly than Veileds. And of course I know full well one cannot guarentee personality of any one chameleon.

However would you agree or disagree with this statement.
Panther tend to be more friendly than Veiled.

(I have a vague notion I may have asked this already but I searched and didn't find anything. Forgive if its a duplicate as I just can't decide.)

vieled males are very territorial. Not all of them but in general. I handled mine everyday and then once he started to mature is would gape at me.

my male veiled likes when I hold him(maybe because I only hold him to take him outside) but I haven't touched my female yet because she is a B&*^%

From what I've heard, panthers can be more laid back than veileds. I love my panther! I'm so glad we waited and got him. My boyfriend was so tempted just to get a veiled from the pet store because it was so much more convenient and less expensive.

Thanks. Ironic I posted the same question as someone else. I'll read and follow that one as it has three pages already. Thanks though.

A big part of the problem is how WE keepers interpret "nice" versus "not nice" and what we expect from any lizard and how wide a range of lizards we happen to have experience with. I've handled many species ranging from Nile monitors to leopard geckos but I expect very different things from each of them. I sort of expect a monitor to be "not nice" if they are warmed up and healthy. What I expect from a cbb leopard gecko is entirely different! Does that mean they are all nice?

A cham species that has a lot of variation is melleri. I had a lovely almost friendly melleri, one that was sort of neutral, and a very evil one. All were wc.

To answer your question...you really can't rely on your statement. On the scale of things I think both veileds and panthers are generally close...within normal individual variation. There are some very oddly friendly panthers out there but I haven't met one. Maybe there's just less variation in these species because they have been captive bred longer and some selection for personality goes along with that. I don't know anyone who breeds for nastiness just to get color.

If you select a species that interests you most you are more likely to decide your's is "nice" because you accept it.

Over the years its been baby Veileds I would see in pet stores, fall in love with and pledge that one day I would have one. (Adult Veileds seemed just as wonderful.) Having finally decided to have a chameleon, I started reading and gleaned from posts here that Panthers tend to be more friendly than Veileds. And of course I know full well one cannot guarentee personality of any one chameleon.

However would you agree or disagree with this statement.
Panther tend to be more friendly than Veiled.

(I have a vague notion I may have asked this already but I searched and didn't find anything. Forgive if its a duplicate as I just can't decide.)

at it’s most basic point to “answer” your question, i would agree. decades of working with chameleons in a veterinary setting, other owner’s feelings, plus my own experiences are the basis for my reply. but since stereotypes are utterly useless at the individual level, the lizard in front of you may or may not follow that trend. if you’re shopping retail you may get a good idea of their attitude by observing or handling them; of course that still may change over time or the next time you pick them up. if you’re going with a breeder, most will have a pretty good idea which of their chams may fit what you are looking for. i have had folks want only a certain color because it’s what they like or want to breed, and didn’t give a second thought to the cham’s behavior since they may have a hands-off approach. conversely i’ve had other folks who want the “friendliest” cham regardless of color as they’re looking for a completely different experience.

this is a very basic answer regarding the two species that you asked about. another factor can be sex of the lizard. IME, of all of the veileds or panthers that i have ever handled, i have found male panthers to be most tolerant of most situations most of the time. how’s that? ;)

I am rather inexperienced with chameleons, so you might not want what I have to say alter your decision. I have only had one veiled and one panther. Out of the two, the panther is definitely more friendly and less shy. Overall I prefer panthers because of the amazing bright and various colors they can display. There are definitely some killer veileds out there, but Panthers win in the looks department in my book. :p

I would vaguely agree, as well. I've known significantly more pacific panthers than veileds.

I would always go for the species that appeals to you the most. Because at least if you don't get a super tolerant, sociable lizard you still have one that you enjoy looking at tremendously. If that's going to be the panther, then get a panther. If you prefer the look of veileds, then get a veiled.

You can always work on taming them afterwards, it's not impossible, so start with the species that calls to you the most and go from there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom