veiled not drinking but eating.??????

zitsr

i have a veiled thats eating like normal but hasent slurped up any water for like a week now, does anybody have advise on this subject or should i worry and take her to a vet.??????

oh ok i forgot sorry.. :)

well im recently using a bird cage that i flipped over so itl be higher,and im using 1 reptisun 5.0 uvb and a simple house bulb for heating so the basking temp is 85-90, cool side 75-85 and at night it drops to 60-65 oh and the lights stay on from 7:30am to 8:00pm the humidity im not sure but it should be ok since the paper at botom of the cage is always soaked, Im also using 1 photos plant that reaches the middle of the cage and several bamboo plants.

my cham is a 3month old veiled(im not sure about the age but its preety small), ive only feed her crickets for now and she eats about 4 aday and i really dont have a schedule and i use chameleon dust from t-rex (sandfire super foods) and for watering im using a water bottle with a hole at the bottom which i have seen her drink but only once ive got her oh and im misting 3times a day, and for her droppings that she does like every 2 days or so its a black/white slimy thing..

hope this helps.. :)

She may be a secret drinker-mist for 5 minutes or more at a time and see what she does. If the poop has a good white part with no oranges she should be fine. What are the dimensions of your bird cage?

My Ambilobe is over 9 months old and I've never seen him drink. He is in perfect health and has never showed any signs of dehydration. Considering that Chams get water from their food and absorb moisture through their skin, I've done several things:

1) Feed a lot of silk worms
2) Keep the humidity high 65%
3) Run my mister 3 times a day for 15 minutes each time

Silk worms themselves hold a lot of moisture. Plus with the high humidity and mister running often, I know he is absorbing some through his skin. I have noticed that he likes to collect water in his casque. When water hass collected there, he will often lick his lips, I assume to catch the water as it runs off.

ok thanks ill try out those techniques and see how it goes, and heres a pic of her cage and her tell me what you think.???

Attachments

• SUC50060.JPG
    SUC50060.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 200
oh sorry she didnt come out here she is, oh and i was concerned about her head too because ive seen alot of other pictures of veiled chameleons that have a pointy..??

Attachments

• SUC50064.JPG
    SUC50064.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 156
  • SUC50065.JPG
    SUC50065.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 133
uhhh... someone correct me if i'm wrong...
but that is so not a veiled chameleon..
i am guessing it chamaeleo gracilis.

you have a serious revamping need to be done.
They have a slight different need compared to a veiled cham.
here from adcham:

graciliskampala.JPG

Last edited:
not a veiled

dodolah, that is most def. not a veiled chameleon. you are correct. Looks like a young graceful to me too. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

As for your cage, doesn't food escape out of that cage pretty easily? I would invest in a screen enclosure for your cham.

As for the drinking issue, my chameleons rarely drink infront of me. Usually they only will when theyre particularly thirsty.

either way.. the care for them is quite different.
I believe gracilis (if i'm right) requires much much more humidity and lower temperature than veiled.
(perhaps that's why he stops eating).

i doubt that bird cage and the lack of foliage are good enough for the humidity
I am not familiar with gracilis.
Hopefully somebody with experience will chime in.

aww man that sucks i always thougt it was a baby veiled since the day i bought her, but oh well i guess il still take good care of it.

and can anyone give me the exact name for it or a the site of a good caresheet, and as for the cage can someone give me a good site for screen enclosures.??
(what happens if her droppings are orange and brown)

aww man that sucks i always thougt it was a baby veiled since the day i bought her, but oh well i guess il still take good care of it.

and can anyone give me the exact name for it or a the site of a good caresheet, and as for the cage can someone give me a good site for screen enclosures.??
(what happens if her droppings are orange and brown)
are you saying his pee color is orange?! :eek:
orange urate is a sign of severe dehydration.
This is serious. Your chameleon can spiral downward in a day or two if a swift action is not taken.
you need to increase misting.. I recommend at least 4 misting a day 10 minutes each misting.
I am just guessing that a gracilis might require a very high humidity (just from a random site i found, one claim that it needs to be a 100% humidity.. i do not know whether it is correct or not)

if it is, then there is no way you can hold that high humidity in your bird cage.
my recommendation is to get an aluminum screen cage

If he is old enough, i think a shower method can be used..
Since you say that he's still eating,
I also recommend introducing him high water content feeder like horn worms and silk worms to rehydrate him.
i'm not proficient enough in caring for gracilis... sorry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom