Veiled lighting

Iviola

Hi all! I’m interested in my first veiled chameleon. I have other reptile experience and have always dreamed of owning a cham myself. I have done extensive research on them and feel like I’m able to care for one properly. I do hesitate on one thing, lighting. I want everything to be perfect once I purchase her and want her to have everything she needs. I’m planning on buying the ReptiBreeze size large open air cage but I’m unsure on what lighting fixtures to get. I’m looking at the Zilla slimline tropical 25 t8 for UVB and then a 65-70 watt dome lighting for basking. Please leave anything thoughts or opinions below, they’re much appreciated. Also if you have any tips for A first time cham mom, let me know!! Thank you

There is nothing wrong with T8 lighting besides the fact that T5 is better. It is smaller in diameter but produces stronger UVB over a larger area. I believe a T5 is 48% stronger than a T8. Watch this for more info on UVB lighting for reptiles. I personally would not trust Zilla products. I would personally recommend a 24" T5HO Reptisun with a 5.0 if your basking spot is not too far and a 10.0 if it is or you have lots and lots of foliage. Also a female veiled still gets sizeable. I'd recommend the XL instead of the L Reptibreeze.

Hi! Thank you for replying!! I just have one more question, what lighting fixture do you recommend for a basking bulb? My local petsore recommend the zoo med deep dome lamp with a 60 watt day blue bulb but I’ve heard mixed review on it. Any recommendations are appreciated

Hi! Thank you for replying!! I just have one more question, what lighting fixture do you recommend for a basking bulb? My local petsore recommend the zoo med deep dome lamp with a 60 watt day blue bulb but I’ve heard mixed review on it. Any recommendations are appreciated
For a veiled they need a white basking bulb in a deep dome fixture. That can be a normal house halogen bulb that you would buy at your local grocery store or a basking bulb by exoterra or ZooMed. With wattage it depends on how far the light will be from the basking branch. You might have to play around with different bulbs to be sure. They like it at 85 no hotter. Buy a temp gun from Harbor Freight or an identical type store to know you're getting the right temps. Hope this helps. I know it can be confusing at times.

For a veiled they need a white basking bulb in a deep dome fixture. That can be a normal house halogen bulb that you would buy at your local grocery store or a basking bulb by exoterra or ZooMed. With wattage it depends on how far the light will be from the basking branch. You might have to play around with different bulbs to be sure. They like it at 85 no hotter. Buy a temp gun from Harbor Freight or an identical type store to know you're getting the right temps. Hope this helps. I know it can be confusing at times.
I’ve heard that basking branch is supposed to be about 6 inches away from light to prevent burns. Is this correct? If so, would 60-70 watts be enough or too much? Thank you for your help, I just want her to be happy and healthy

At only 6in I'd say a 50 or 60w would be just fine. But like I said buy a temp gun to be 100% sure. It's critical that temp is not too hot and not too cold for proper digestion.

At only 6in I'd say a 50 or 60w would be just fine. But like I said buy a temp gun to be 100% sure. It's critical that temp is not too hot and not too cold for proper digestion.
Ok, temp gun isn’t an issue I can get one no problem. Would the 50/60 watt provide heat to the bottom of the cage though? I get the temperature gradient is crucial for them so they can regulate temperature I just don’t want her getting too cold

Here is some additional info. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
and if you are getting a female you will want to read up on lay bins because they have eggs even when they are not mated. Here is a link for that https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Here are some additional graphics that will help you pick the items you need to buy and provide additional info. With one note a female you never want to go over 85 degrees for basking heat.
Veiled sheet.jpeg
Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg
nonUVB pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

Here is some additional info. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
and if you are getting a female you will want to read up on lay bins because they have eggs even when they are not mated. Here is a link for that https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Here are some additional graphics that will help you pick the items you need to buy and provide additional info. With one note a female you never want to go over 85 degrees for basking heat.
View attachment 224719View attachment 224720View attachment 224721View attachment 224722View attachment 224723View attachment 224724
Those are very helpful, thank you!!

Br30 75 or 100 watt good for heat and plants

One of the most common things new keepers fail to consider is the distance between the basking light and the top screen of the viv. When your trying to get your basking spot established you must first figure out the minimum distance required between the top of the screen and the bulb to prevent burns.

Young chams are notorious for climbing on the roof of their viv so if your distance isn’t correct your Cham could receive lethal burns. Chams do not feel heat the same way we do, their way has a lot of delayed response built in so they don’t realize how quickly they are overheating until it’s too late. Burns are by far the most common injury suffered by captive chams.

I know you don’t have a particular problem you need help with right now but if you filled out the help form we can review all your plans to ensure you get started the right way.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Also, go with the T5HO with a 6% Arcadia bulb until your Cham is about 8mo, then switch to 12%.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom