Veiled leaning on side only while handling

Kizmit910

I have a 5-6 mo old female veiled. She has recently been leaning on side occasionally only when I am holding her. She has no problem standing up straight or walking and in fact can move very quickly if she wants to. She will lay like this while I stroke her side and belly for several minutes, then climb on up to my head. All of her other behavior has been normal, although, she is ending a shedding cycle so I am wondering if she is doing this because it feels good or as a sign of affection and trust or if I am just perhaps reading her wrong all together. She is eating very well and her sleep patterns are normal. Most of the shed has fallen off with the exception of a few pieces around her face. I’ve been misting her 4-5 times per day and she has and auto mister as well. Can chameleons show affection if they feel at ease with a human? She seems very comfortable with me handling her and I only handle her once per day and only if she decides she wants to come out. I am just wondering if this could be a bad thing but other than this she seems completely normal. Would appreciate any input you may have.

I thought that too, but when I take my hand away, she doesn’t try to escape. She will stay for quite some time, then she will eventually climb up to my head. When I do gently stroke her, most of the time she leans into it, not away from it but there are times that I can tell she just isn’t in the mood and will lean away from it so I leave her alone. Should I just not handle her?
I’m just not sure that she is trying to escape because when she isn’t in to it she moves with great purpose. It seems like she is relaxed. This is my first chameleon so I’m not sure what is normal behavior.
I appreciate the input, thank you!

I dont know of a chameleon that eventually wont try to climb on your head. Its genetic. Would you like a cold tail you your ear, or one of your face holes used as a foot hold?

Unfortunately 10lb tegus also want to be on your head. The good ones wont try to climb your face, that have the courtesy to climb the back of your neck, then run out of room and not know what to do, because tegu body is 2ft long, and most people dont have 2ft of head and neck.

I thought that too, but when I take my hand away, she doesn’t try to escape. She will stay for quite some time, then she will eventually climb up to my head. When I do gently stroke her, most of the time she leans into it, not away from it but there are times that I can tell she just isn’t in the mood and will lean away from it so I leave her alone. Should I just not handle her?
I’m just not sure that she is trying to escape because when she isn’t in to it she moves with great purpose. It seems like she is relaxed. This is my first chameleon so I’m not sure what is normal behavior.

Geckos and frogs will lean into it too, i dont thing they like it however, its just a response. My fat tailed gecko would do its best impression of a cat when i petted its back, but im sure i was getting more out of it then he was.

To me the first thing that comes to my head is that she may be trying to start a shed, I know Coda has done this to me a few times before a shed.

I know that Coda does this when she’s basking, we’re you under a heat source or some type of light? Did it look like this?

I know that Coda does this when she’s basking, we’re you under a heat source or some type of light? Did it look like this? View attachment 246709
No, I was holding her.
I dont know of a chameleon that eventually wont try to climb on your head. Its genetic. Would you like a cold tail you your ear, or one of your face holes used as a foot hold?

Unfortunately 10lb tegus also want to be on your head. The good ones wont try to climb your face, that have the courtesy to climb the back of your neck, then run out of room and not know what to do, because tegu body is 2ft long, and most people dont have 2ft of head and neck.
She likes to wrap her tail around my ear or just shove it in there, I don’t mind. But she isn’t a 2 lb tegu! Lol.

Yeah so the little girl does not want to be rubbed. She is leaning to pull herself away and climbing to get away from you. Honestly touch for them is very different then touch for us. So she freezes and stays in one place because she is trying to figure out if she is about to be eaten. Unfortunatly while they can learn to trust us they do not think of us the way a cat or dog does. It is trust not love. And depending on how much you are misting if you have not done a help form to review your husbandry it would be a great place to start.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom