Veiled Laid 29 eggs, but still is bumpy...

WilcoxAE

Established Member
:confused:

Howdy everyone,

This forum pretty much has the answer to anything I could search but I couldn't quite find the answer to this.

My female veiled laid 29 eggs, covered them up, and started eating like everything was cool. :cool: Only problem is that she still very clearly has eggs in her to be laid.

She no longer is digging or crawling around like a maniac. Will she drop these on her own? Does anyone have experience with this? It has already been two days since she "finished".

Any advice would be super. Thanks a million!

Here are two pics of Pinky with her still remaining lady lumps.

full

full

She is pretty thin but still full of eggs it appears.

She stopped eating about 3-4 days before laying last Thursday. She laid and immediately went back to eating like a champ. She's been putting away large crickets, hornworms, butterworms, cherries, and greens like nobody's business. She still poos as well.

She crawls around but like normal. I am thinking she is going to just hold out and lay another batch....eventually? Hopefully she isn't egg bound and nearing death?

She occasionally sits with an eye or two closed but other than that is perky, well as perky as a chameleon gets, and actively engaged when I come around.

(If anything she went from being a total bit** to a wonderful chameleon after laying.)

Anyone had a cham hang onto eggs like this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
She needs to lay all the eggs now. I would take her to the vets for an X-ray and get some calcium and Oxytocin and see if she will lay the rest. If she doesn't she will need surgery to remove them. I just had to get the surgery for my girl 2 1/2 weeks ago and so far she's doing well.

Last edited:
Also, what was the dose of oxy they gave her? Bad experience with vets in the past with my chammies :( Would like multiple person input to double check it against the vet's "knowledge"

It would be an Oxytocin shot- would probably run around $100, with the exam. Was she bred? Do you know if they are fertile or infertile eggs?

...and would you happen to be referring to oxyTOCIN or are you referring to oxyCONTIN

You will want Oxytocin because it's a hormone that induces labor. Oxycontin/codone is a pain reliever that will probably just make your chameleon sleep -=)

Thanks for the information. She still hasn't laid the rest of the eggs but is still as perky as she always is.

I will attempt to find an adequate veterinarian in the Brooklyn area and see what happens.

Veiled Holding back Eggs, Interesting UPDATE!

Howdy Everyone,

Interesting update that I hope helps others! <3

After some thinking and applying just personal experience of being a country bumpkin and helping prego animals in the past, I followed my gut and decided to try to help her out manually.

I warmed up a container of water big enough to be able to get in her in to just a few degrees warmer than her favorite basking spot as I wanted her to be comfortable.

:pCritters like warm massages just as much as we do!:p

While she was in the water and much to her initial dislike, I began to manually and gently massage the eggs around to what felt to be a better position for...excretion.

They seemed to all be bunched up right around her back legs so after massaging further up to get everything softened up and get her to relax, I started to gently try to massage the eggs up, while always being mindful to watch her movements and eyes to see if any of this was painful.

After a few minutes she let me know she'd had enough by turning, looking me right in the face, and then smacking my eyeball with her tongue! Thanks. :p Cute though...

Wouldn't ya know it, IT WORKED!

I put her back in her cage to mellow out and left her alone. After a few hours I came back and she had passed this nasty hard crusty egg, seemingly first.

I then found a couple of freshly laid eggs scattered about.

full

full

full

And then she went on merrily eating cherries and hornworms...and her attitude returned. Phenomenal.

She still had a few in her from what I could tell so I repeated the process and had the same result.

I hope this helps someone else but I don't think it should necessarily replace a trip to the vet if it doesn't work for someone else.

Cheers! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey April ,
Congratulations on a getting all the eggs out yourself good thinking .Are they fertile , did you find a Pied, Hypermelanstic, or High trans Male?
Dave

Hey there Dave,

She actually randomly expelled a few on her own in the days following. Nature is a tough old bird. I put them in the incubator but I am almost certain they are infertile. Perhaps, that's why she held onto them?

I am waiting to order some trannies til after the hollies as I want to get a few new cages setup and there just hasn't been any time in life...you know.

I think I might just order from FL Chams. They seem to be the only cat in town with these guys. If I manage to find some via the Facebook, they are charging $300 for babies with parents that are just so-so.

Unless you know of anything! :D

Back
Top Bottom