Veiled Lady has become ill out of blue

That doesn't sound right, I'll wait for someone with more experience regarding vet care to chime in. Coccidia is a parasite and if your cham has it then you need to sterilize everything or it will continue to reinfect. Heat light on at night is downright wrong though. My bs meter is going off, but maybe I'm missing something here?

Increased daytime temps can be helpful for weakened reptiles (particularly females, which we traditionally keep on the lower temp range), and the sulfa/trim and syringe feeding is probably a good call. I dont see the harm in keeping the temps at ~75F overnight with a low wattage ceramic heat emitter while she's ill at least, though I'd avoid an actual light at night as this will disturb her sleep patterns.

I can't say much about this whole gut bacteria situation without knowing exactly what kind of bacteria it was, and while coccidia can be lived with at lower concentrations I'd probably nip that in the bud before it has a chance to take root.

Keep us posted! I hope she reacts well to her treatment plan.

Increased daytime temps can be helpful for weakened reptiles (particularly females, which we traditionally keep on the lower temp range), and the sulfa/trim and syringe feeding is probably a good call. I dont see the harm in keeping the temps at ~75F overnight with a low wattage ceramic heat emitter while she's ill at least, though I'd avoid an actual light at night as this will disturb her sleep patterns.

I can't say much about this whole gut bacteria situation without knowing exactly what kind of bacteria it was, and while coccidia can be lived with at lower concentrations I'd probably nip that in the bud before it has a chance to take root.

Keep us posted! I hope she reacts well to her treatment plan.

I was thinking the warmer temps could be for the recovery, but it sounds like the vet said that's how it should be permanently, which I disagree with. I also made the mistake of reading it as heat light at night for some reason... i need to read more carefully lol.

I agree - raised temps should only be during recovery. I'm also curious re: sterilizing the enclosure - maybe the levels are so low he wasnt worried about reinfection risks...? That seems like playing with fire to me, especially with an already weakened animal.

I agree - raised temps should only be during recovery. I'm also curious re: sterilizing the enclosure - maybe the levels are so low he wasnt worried about reinfection risks...? That seems like playing with fire to me, especially with an already weakened animal.

Yeah I was never aware of the raised temps for treatment until jacksjill brought it up a little while back.

As for cleaning the cage, I can see the first priority being to do whatever possible to keep the animal alive. I just find it strange a vet wouldn't even mention the cleaning measures.

I'm sad to say after checking on her, she is even more weak, and is now laying with her mouth slightly opened, thought she was dead but when I touched her she had a very very slight reaction. However, I do believe she is going to pass on within the next few hours, I feel strongly her chance of living pass the night is under 2% and at this point if i could humanely euthanize her i would. I've made her as comfortable as possible. My guess is the medicine kicked in and is just too much for her to handle anymore. It's a horrible wrenching feeling watching how fast this sickness is destroying her yet at the same time it feels so slow, how long these past few days must have felt to her.

All from the day before she lost her appetite completly.

Attachments

• 868.jpeg
    868.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 874.jpeg
    874.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 877.jpeg
    877.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 875.jpeg
    875.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 273
Yesterday and day before.

Attachments

• 20190427_140359.jpg
    20190427_140359.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 20190424_163913.jpg
    20190424_163913.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 20190424_163932.jpg
    20190424_163932.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 221
I've found 2 vets in Atlanta that I will use for my scaley friends from now on, Brad Wilson (recommended by Jannb on this site) and a Keith Contravio? That comes recommended from another forum on reptile and herp babies. Each are in Marietta (atlanta) a little shy of 2 hours from my house, 1 and a half if I find a fast driver to get behind C:

Back
Top Bottom