Veiled killed his first live plant

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
My cham is eating plants. This pothos may be a goner. He tipped over his first plant and spilled the soil and ate all the leaves of the plant. What fruit should I put in there? I have cherries and watermelon.

Attachments

• plant2.jpg
    plant2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 114
No fruit at all. They are not able to digest them properly and giving them fruits can compromise their health over time.

How old is he and what are you feeding? How are you gutloading your feeders?

No fruit at all. They are not able to digest them properly and giving them fruits can compromise their health over time.

How old is he and what are you feeding? How are you gutloading your feeders?
He is about 4 months old and I am feeding crickets that eat mango, pears and greens. I also feed him Superworms.

I thought pothos plant only recommended for non plant eating chams. Panthers and such as the pothos toxicity with oxylate crystals?
Should I take the plant out? I cannot find the name of the last plant he ate. Just a potted plant from Home Depot. I think an Episcia.

I'm sure its a with caution devils ivy (golden pothos) aka marble queen or scientific epippremnum aureum, in that veiled chameleons dont eat them. Have you tried offering it yours some greens or vegetables/fruits safe recommend ofcourse

I'm sure its a with caution devils ivy (golden pothos) aka marble queen or scientific epippremnum aureum, in that veiled chameleons dont eat them. Have you tried offering it yours some greens or vegetables/fruits safe recommend ofcourse
I need to try greens. I don't eat enough of them.

@Beman said..."No fruit at all. They are not able to digest them properly and giving them fruits can compromise their health over time"...I've been trying for a long time to find an article that shows what digestive enzymes veiled chameleons have in their system but can't find one....do you have one?

@Beman said..."No fruit at all. They are not able to digest them properly and giving them fruits can compromise their health over time"...I've been trying for a long time to find an article that shows what digestive enzymes veiled chameleons have in their system but can't find one....do you have one?
No I do not.

I just have heard it off different things that Bill Strand puts out there... See here. This is found on https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-feeding-chameleons/ Under the section Eating Leaves and Plant Matter. I can't find the other place I found it where they said it can harm their health feeding fruits. It was something about the sugar amounts in fruit... If I find it I will send it to you. :)

A very few chameleon species will eat the leaves of the plants in their cage. Most notably, the veiled chameleon. There are many ideas as to why they do this. Nutrition and hydration really don’t make sense considering what they eat and when they eat it in the wild. The one explanation that does make sense is that they use the leaves as roughage to help their digestion. This idea was put forth by Petr Necas as he observed veiled chameleons in Yemen eating leaves when there was ample food and water around. Their poop showed leaves undigested, but wrapped around the poop. This made sense because, as babies, they would eat a great deal of caterpillars and roughage was needed to pass the soft waste.

In captivity, there is no need to feed vegetation and, especially, do not feed fruit. This has been a common practice, but not for the right reasons. Veiled chameleons are programmed to eat anything and everything to grow up as quick as possible before the dry season comes and kills them all. Just because they eat something doesn’t mean it is good for them.

I give my chams blueberries every now and then for a somewhat rare treat because they seem to enjoy them. They each only get 2 small berries with average frequency of maybe once every week & 1/2. That is the only non-insect thing I give them.
While looking up if I can give my beardie fresh cherries, it mentioned the fruit acid upsetting the stomach. Made me think more about acid content of foods for him as well as in what I gut load with.

I thought pothos plant only recommended for non plant eating chams. Panthers and such as the pothos toxicity with oxylate crystals?
Should I take the plant out? I cannot find the name of the last plant he ate. Just a potted plant from Home Depot. I think an Episcia.
The oxalates will not harm your Cham. It’s recommended all the time for all species. It’s harmful to humans and animals (probably most mammals) but my understanding is that it doesn’t affect them at all, or does it? But clearly not enough to do much

Back
Top Bottom